Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong With Norton Av

Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Originally posted by muchspl2@2 April 2004 - 00:35
    people who use norton, when you get owned by some virus think of this post and me laughing at you
    Look for some downtime on that laugh...

Two and a half years and three versions later, I am still waiting for that "ownage".

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@2 April 2004 - 17:06
    recommend me the best av. doesn't have to be free
    id recommend u TRY BitDefender Pro =] ive found it to be good for me, jus a little tweaking in the options n it runs great.
    SP

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by Izagaia@2 April 2004 - 15:46

Two and a half years and three versions later, I am still waiting for that "ownage".
    will see
    norton has the highest % of failure
    it's also the most popular so..

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by muchspl2+2 April 2004 - 16:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (muchspl2 &#064; 2 April 2004 - 16:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Izagaia@2 April 2004 - 15:46

will see
    norton has the highest % of failure
    it&#39;s also the most popular so.. [/b][/quote]
    what do u mean highest % of failure?

ok. i&#39;m getting nod

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    If you do decide on norton, get the corp edition, it seems to use less resources and I think it works better than the other versions of norton, but hey test them all out and see which one you like, I use two different versions on two different computers, I use Mcafee on one and Incoculate IT on another. Then I use norton corp editon at work

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by firefox@2 April 2004 - 17:07
    If you do decide on norton, get the corp edition, it seems to use less resources and I think it works better than the other versions of norton, but hey test them all out and see which one you like, I use two different versions on two different computers, I use Mcafee on one and Incoculate IT on another.&nbsp; Then I use norton corp editon at work
    Thank you for obviously clearing that up.

It is home editions of Norton that are bloated at times. I have never had that problem with Corp.
    Still I hear nod32 is the best. Hell Panda is better than AVG IMO.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    BANNED
    good thing about linux: Traditionally virus-free, no need for stupid scanners

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by uNz&#091;i
    ,2 April 2004 - 00:45]Actually, this is a very timely topic for me.

I&#39;ve been using Nortons AV since 2001.... currently running NAV 2003 Pro

It&#39;s been okay for the most part, but yeah, like zapjb said - it&#39;s a resource hog.
    It slows my comp&#39;s startup time down considerably.

Also, the live updater only seems to work in fits and starts.
    Sometimes it runs perfectly, other times I have to update the virus definitions manually.

I finally got around to downloading AVG last night
    NAV is getting evicted over the weekend.

I&#39;m looking forward to a marked improvement in my PC&#39;s performance.
    I heard updates are few and far between is this true? AVG I mean .I would switch from NSW 2003 PRO but I would need a good reason. I know avg is free but?

edit My computer is running fine ,flying really, dont notice norton is even on till it finds a virus in my e-mails. BUT just wondering. I&#39;m missing something? My xp box boots in 30 seconds. With norton starting .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Sorry but had to add most people that know their way around a computer will never get infected with a virus . No matter what anti virus they use. I could try 4 different ones still be happy .Why? because i scan my downloads and check my e-mails or update my security updates daily.Its simple really be informed and very carefu,l no problems B)

edit spelling oh course

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Speaking seriously, NAV doesn&#39;t catch as much as AVG or NOD32. NAV does also use more resources as well. It&#39;s really one of those, we&#39;ll do the work for you and screw it up anyway kind of anti-viruses (McAfee is so much worse though). I&#39;ve had to fix several computers that are crawling with viruses and a bunch of them in a virus vault and the person didn&#39;t even know. Go figure.

The only anti-viruses I would recommend are AVG and NOD32. I think I&#39;m switching to NOD32 permenantly, though.

Can&#39;t decide? Just try them. It&#39;s not that difficult. But ONE at a time&#33;

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast