Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Told To Kill By God

Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+4 April 2004 - 23:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 4 April 2004 - 23:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@4 April 2004 - 23:29
    I think it highlights how irrelevant God is when it comes to defining moral behavior.

The religious might justify the act by saying&nbsp; that "God has a higher purpose" and we may not understand why he chose to kill in this case, and therefore; his desire was fulfilled.
    Bunkum, as you well know.

Your point only makes any sense if one assumes that God did in fact issue the instruction.

You do not believe God exists, therefore he could not have. So your post would be based, in your own eyes, on a false premise.

I do not believe that God would have issued an instruction to commit murder, as it is against his commandments.

The woman was lying or delusional. Either way, God did not tell her to commit infanticide. [/b][/quote]
    I have always allowed the possibilty of a God, I just reject those version created by man to appease his fear of the unknown.

Maybe her God is not your God.

How do you know which is the correct one?

Oh, that&#39;s right, you chose your God arbitrarily.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Busyman

I think you will find that the concept of adultery has more to do with whose children are inheriting whose property. In a patriarchal society, the idea that another man&#39;s son will inherit your land tends to cause dismay. Morality has little to do with it. Not that it ever stopped people anyhoo.

The ancient Picts of Scotland were matriarchal on the basis that you always knew who your mother was. Consequently, even the linage of the crown was passed down the mother&#39;s side. This ended in the 9th century when the Northern Picts joined with the Southern Scots (who were by then patriarchal) and the unified state was formed.

I presume this lady is receiving medical care somewhere secure - just in case her receiver goes into overdrive again.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."
    G W Bush to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas......

This may explain a few things

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes+4 April 2004 - 23:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 4 April 2004 - 23:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@4 April 2004 - 23:48
    <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes
    @4 April 2004 - 23:29
    I think it highlights how irrelevant God is when it comes to defining moral behavior.

The religious might justify the act by saying that "God has a higher purpose" and we may not understand why he chose to kill in this case, and therefore; his desire was fulfilled.

Bunkum, as you well know.

Your point only makes any sense if one assumes that God did in fact issue the instruction.

You do not believe God exists, therefore he could not have. So your post would be based, in your own eyes, on a false premise.

I do not believe that God would have issued an instruction to commit murder, as it is against his commandments.

The woman was lying or delusional. Either way, God did not tell her to commit infanticide.
    I have always allowed the possibilty of a God, I just reject those version created by man to appease his fear of the unknown.

Maybe her God is not your God.

How do you know which is the correct one?

Oh, that&#39;s right, you chose your God arbitrarily. [/b][/quote]
    Come on, at least put some effort in. A pathetic childish jibe from you, it&#39;s really not your style.

That just makes it obvious you are looking for a reaction mate.

Oh, bunny boy said I decide on my God arbitrarily, what will I do, how should I react. Come on, are we not worth the effort of a bit of creativity. That was the interweb equivalent of mocking someone&#39;s speech impediment. It reflect more on you than it does on the victim.

Shape up hobbes, we expect more from you.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Sorry mate, a bit grumpy, will pull up a chair and observe.

You know, it took me less than 2 years to learn to talk and many more years to learn to shut-up.

I&#39;m actually not backing away from my comments, but my landlord has put me in a foul mood and I think I will not let that infect the board.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes@5 April 2004 - 00:03
    Sorry mate, a bit grumpy, will pull up a chair and observe.

You know, it took me less than 2 years to learn to talk and many more years to learn to shut-up.

I&#39;m actually not backing away from my comments, but my landlord has put me in a foul mood and I think I will not let that infect the board.
    No chance, get posting mate.

You, the apple and a foul mood. I want to talk to that rabbit.

Fan-Tastic

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@4 April 2004 - 22:59
    "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

No way&#33;

That must be a spoof Rat Face, it is crazy talk. The sort of thing a travelling preacher and snake oil seller would have said a 150 years ago.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by hobbes@4 April 2004 - 18:44
    God and religion have nothing to do with anything.
    Take them away and I guarantee there&#39;d be anarchy.

Sorry to break it to ya but they both keep alot of people "in line".

Call it cooky.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Biggles@4 April 2004 - 18:54
    Busyman

I think you will find that the concept of adultery has more to do with whose children are inheriting whose property. In a patriarchal society, the idea that another man&#39;s son will inherit your land tends to cause dismay. Morality has little to do with it. Not that it ever stopped people anyhoo.

The ancient Picts of Scotland were matriarchal on the basis that you always knew who your mother was. Consequently, even the linage of the crown was passed down the mother&#39;s side. This ended in the 9th century when the Northern Picts joined with the Southern Scots (who were by then patriarchal) and the unified state was formed.

I presume this lady is receiving medical care somewhere secure - just in case her receiver goes into overdrive again.
    Uh...no Biggles.

You are explaining a possible "origin" that doesn&#39;t apply to todays minds.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Poster
    Originally posted by Biggles+5 April 2004 - 00:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggles @ 5 April 2004 - 00:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rat Faced@4 April 2004 - 22:59

No way&#33;

That must be a spoof Rat Face, it is crazy talk. The sort of thing a travelling preacher and snake oil seller would have said a 150 years ago. [/b][/quote]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast