Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling

Poster
    I heard you could get a liquid to use in Cooling Systems that would not conduct electricity thus not damaging any part if it leaks. Anyone heard of it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by clocker@7 April 2004 - 20:25
    Lynx,

Your system sounds fascinating...any chance of pics?
    I'll try once it's finished, but I'll have to borrow a digital camera. The couple I've been with today have one, and since I've spent most of the day sorting out their new pc I'm sure they will let me have it for a couple of hours.

Which reminds me, he's going to buy me a couple of drinks tonight, so what am I doing here? See you later. :beerchug:
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@7 April 2004 - 15:51
    Which reminds me, he's going to buy me a couple of drinks tonight, so what am I doing here? See you later. :beerchug:
    Lucky bastard cant wait till tommorrow night

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    lynx's Avatar .
    Well, my pc is back up and running.

Had to fetch my sister-in-law from hospital, more delay, I thought I was never going to get this thing finished.

Anyway, it's been running flat out for about 25 minutes now, temp has stabilised at 27C cpu/17C mobo. I'm guessing ambient temp is about 20C (up slightly on normal) The mobo temp is down about 8C, the cpu temp is down about 22C, and that's with the cover now on compared with off before. And the chiller is on setting 5 out of 7, it could go even colder.

Roll on summer, I'm ready for you now.

As for noise, the chiller gives a few seconds of rumbling every couple of minutes, and the only noise I can hear from the pump is an occasional hiss as a small air bubble passes through. Hopefully they should be out of the system pretty soon. The noisiest thing now is the case fan, which I can mod to run on 7v now, or possibly remove altogether.

Pics tomorrow, then I can put some insulation on the pipes which may bring the temp down a degree or two.

update: I've disconnected all my case fans, just the psu fan left, and that's cut from 2860 rpm to 2100. I'll probably need one on the hdd, but I'll worry about that later. Mobo temp has risen to 25C (i don't think it is accurate below about 24C anyway), cpu temp to 31C, but it is damn near SILENT.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@8 April 2004 - 11:56
    Well, my pc is back up and running.

Had to fetch my sister-in-law from hospital, more delay, I thought I was never going to get this thing finished.

Anyway, it's been running flat out for about 25 minutes now, temp has stabilised at 27C cpu/17C mobo. I'm guessing ambient temp is about 20C (up slightly on normal) The mobo temp is down about 8C, the cpu temp is down about 22C, and that's with the cover now on compared with off before. And the chiller is on setting 5 out of 7, it could go even colder.

Roll on summer, I'm ready for you now.

As for noise, the chiller gives a few seconds of rumbling every couple of minutes, and the only noise I can hear from the pump is an occasional hiss as a small air bubble passes through. Hopefully they should be out of the system pretty soon. The noisiest thing now is the case fan, which I can mod to run on 7v now, or possibly remove altogether.

Pics tomorrow, then I can put some insulation on the pipes which may bring the temp down a degree or two.

update: I've disconnected all my case fans, just the psu fan left, and that's cut from 2860 rpm to 2100. I'll probably need one on the hdd, but I'll worry about that later. Mobo temp has risen to 25C (i don't think it is accurate below about 24C anyway), cpu temp to 31C, but it is damn near SILENT.
    ooh hopefully you have a really silent hard drive right? if so that would be sweet, probably be a silent computer.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    you gotta borrow a digicam lynx! i wanna see what it looks like!
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    lynx's Avatar .
    Ok, here are the pics.

Firstly, inside the case, you can see the waterblock at the top, with the pipes leading down and out of the back. The 120mm fan is disconnected and will be removed when I have time.
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/DSCF01.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Secondly, a look round the back of the case, you can see the looped pipework allowing me to move the pc around a little.
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/DSCF02.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Third, here's the main unit. That's the pump on top, with temp controls on the front. The large black plug in front of the pump is the filling point for the main water tank. The refrigeration unit cools the water in that tank, and the pump circulates water through cooling coils in the tank.
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/DSCF03.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Finally, a quick look inside the chiller. On the right is the refrigeration unit, with the water tank on the left. There is supposedly an ice bank somewhere at the back. The refrigeration unit creates that by running for about 10 minutes every couple of hours. A couple of stirrers transfer water between the main tank and the ice bank area and consequently keep the tank at a steady temp.
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/DSCF04.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

I've now increased Vcore again, by another 0.025v, so Vcore is now 1.79v. This has allowed me to raise the FSB speed to 214MHz, giving a cpu speed of 2354MHz and a processor rating of 3425. Temp have gone up to 33C/26C, but that's ok for me, there are still a couple of notches left on the chiller. Too early to tell if it is completely stable as I'm currently running a TINKER, but things are looking good.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    wow, thats cool! The inside of your case is abit messy though

Still looks good though

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Very nice, indeed.

What is the reason for the two big 90 degree plastic fittings right off the waterblock?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    lynx's Avatar .
    Actually, they aren't straight off the waterblock, the two pipes which curve down to the back run parallel to the side of the case.

What you can't clearly see from that pic is that the waterblock has one inlet and two outlets. There are short pipes from the outlet to a black y-piece, and a very short pipe from the y-piece to one of the 90 degree bends. The inlet pipe between the waterblock and the other 90 degree bend is slightly longer and curves under the y-piece.

I originally tried making the inlet pipe from thinwall tubing (which is used for the bendy areas) to go straight to the back panel, but I wasn't certain that I had a good seal on the waterblock so I replaced it with stiffer tubing and a bend.

@Marius, the wiring may look a little messy in that photo, but as far as possible everything is tied down to the far wall in order to maximise airflow. It is the lack of field depth in the photo that makes things look a little odd, which is why clocker thought the 90 degree fittings were straight off the waterblock.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast