Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ms Wireless Desktop

Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@13 April 2004 - 18:22
    Yeah, but I still get things poping up here at random times and my sound keeps muting.
    You can take some jokes too far, did you know VB?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by Mad Cat+13 April 2004 - 18:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mad Cat @ 13 April 2004 - 18:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@13 April 2004 - 18:22
    Yeah, but I still get things poping up here at random times and my sound keeps muting.
    You can take some jokes too far, did you know VB? [/b][/quote]

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@13 April 2004 - 13:22
    haha. i had a problem like that once, it was caused by the keyboard drivers just freezing and it would automatically turn the sound down. it was like teh button was stick in. if i turned it back up manually by going to the little speaker icon in sys tray it would just go right back down again lol. but simply reinstalling the drivers fixed it...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    hmm, kinda strange, that you had such a bad experience with MS input devices. i&#39;ve used &#39;em for a few years (mice, keyboard, game controller) and been quite pleased with &#39;em. granted, they&#39;re USB-wired rather than wireless. maybe some people can genuinely sense better accuracy/responsiveness in Logitech products, but from what experience i&#39;ve had with &#39;em, they seem to be essentially on par with each other, imho.

good to hear that you got it sorted out, anyway.

as for Windows logo testing... i think that&#39;s their "certification" program, where authors of device drivers submit them to Microsoft to verify that they work correctly & safely? i&#39;ve never paid any mind to whether or not the drivers i install are certified, though. it&#39;s never really made any difference, either way.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Lick My Lovepump
    Clocker, as you probably worked out from experience, hardware and drivers are touch and go sometimes. Coulda been anything, a corrupt download etc. I&#39;m glad you sorted it though, and still stand by my claim that Microsoft input devices (easier to spell that periphriarrrls ) are some of the best going, well made and designed.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@13 April 2004 - 18:13
    as for Windows logo testing... i think that&#39;s their "certification" program, where authors of device drivers submit them to Microsoft to verify that they work correctly & safely? i&#39;ve never paid any mind to whether or not the drivers i install are certified, though. it&#39;s never really made any difference, either way.
    kinda funny that microsoft didnt certify its own drivers.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Actually, on my second attempt to load the software...after the fresh install, I didn&#39;t get the "Has not passed..." message again.

But the glitches haven&#39;t quite stopped.

Turns out, to make the extra keys and the tilt wheel function, one must allow two programs to load at startup...."Type 32" and "Intellipoint".
    Silly me, I had disabled them both with Neotweak XP.

Sorted now though.

After the initial problems are long forgotten I think I&#39;ll really like this setup.
    The mouse is absolutely first rate...the smoothness of the scrolling is amazing ( haven&#39;t really had a chance to use the tilt wheel feature yet).

Now that I&#39;ve figured out how to assign the "Favorites" keys, etc., I think it&#39;ll be pretty handy.

They do seem to be rather sensitive to the location of the receiver unit and battery life is still unknown (MS claims "3 Times longer&#33;", but we&#39;ll see.

So, I&#39;ve concluded that the bulk of my trouble stemmed from some sort of hangup in my Windows instalation...can&#39;t imagine what ( I&#39;m now using a completely legal, 100% real MS installation disc...courtesy of my niece in college- &#036;5.20&#33;&#33;&#33; for a XP Pro disc in the student bookstore&#33, but even so, the Microsoft documentation was/is pathetic. No real troubleshooting info to speak of and the features are poorly described.
    I&#39;m not a computer wonk, but even so, I&#39;m smarter than the average bear, and I can&#39;t imagine how someone like my mother could have installed/figured out this product.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    wha?? &#036;5.20 for a copy of Windows XP Pro??? fer reals? my college&#39;s bookstore only ever offered maybe half off of the regular retail prices. that&#39;s amazing.

and yeah, if you want all the bells & whistles the MS software offers, it&#39;s a good idea to let it load & run upon startup. otherwise, the drivers will only offer basic, generic mouse/keyboard functions.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@13 April 2004 - 20:15
    wha?? &#036;5.20 for a copy of Windows XP Pro??? fer reals? my college&#39;s bookstore only ever offered maybe half off of the regular retail prices. that&#39;s amazing.

Yes indeedy.

University of Iowa in Iowa City.

I figured "What the hey?", for five bucks I&#39;ll go legit....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Lick My Lovepump
    Mind buying us some copies of Windows XP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast