Originally posted by CrumbCat@19 April 2004 - 19:49
From a friend (yeah - I like dogs):

GreyDog - 27-Mar-2004 01:05:55 PM
"Piolet is a Hackers Dream come true."
The Piolet P2P program turns your computer into a Network Node Relay Station. Within minutes my computer was relaying data to hundreds of other user computers. My modem was sending and receiving non stop even though I was not searching, downloading or sending mp3 to anyone. Every user computer IP Address that was receiving a small piece of data is recorded in my logs providing a nice fresh victim list. This data transfer averaged about 1.5 KiloBytes a second, or 90k a minute, or 5.4 megs Hour, or 130 megs a day, or 3.9 Gigs a month. Given that my ISP only allows 4 Gigs total a month, and costs $50 each month for that bandwidth, I would say Piolet is an expensive way to get MP3 music. If you are not willing to act as a Node Relay Station, then you are not online, which defeats the purpose of P2P sharing. Given that there is no central Hub to store the files list of each Node Relay, the program is constantly checking each computer for each search performed and relays the data throughout the relays (you) over and over again. You are also delivering MP3 data from Upstream users to Downstream users non-stop, whether you realize it or not because you are a Relay Station. Also, given that Piolet opens hundreds of high numbered ports and requires you to either disable your Firewall or give it 100% Trust status, the Piolet program is a Hackers dream come true. 1000's of fresh IP's showing up in my log file with disabled or no Firewall protection at all. What could be easier. Also, the Piolet program changes components for Internet Explorer and I was unable to use IE at all if the Piolet program is actively running. It also played havic with my anti- pop up software, but I did not see any banner ads nor did any pop ups appear. But, eventually, Piolet's extreme appetite for system calls and system resources overwhelmed my Firewall, Anti-Virus and Anti-PopUp software causing them to crash after a few hours of my computer acting as a free Relay Station to the world, which necessitated my having to shut my computer off and restarting again. Then, my Firewall reported 1000's of non-stop (blocked) port closure calls being received from all of the other user computers that had been connected to my computer. This lasted about half an hour. I pitty the fool that is kind hearted enough to allow this program to run for any length of time on their computer. A P2P without a central Hub is asking far too much from each individual Relay Station (you).

Hmmmmmmm

what a bullshit