Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 99% Of Psu's Will F*ck Up Your Hardware.

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Yes bad PSU do ruin & shorten hardware lifespan. But do what you want to save $40 on $500-$1000 of parts.

Edit: Btw I've heard good things about Enermax & ThermalTake PSU also. So make that 3 brands out of like a zillion pos cheapo brands.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    by screw up do u mean burn everything or just the psu screws up?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Antec also make some great cases. A quality company. Go Antec!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    do you mean that all psu manufacturers, even the ones that DO make good quality psu's, such as thermal take, enermax, and lots of other companies, are all crap and antec is teh only one that makes good ones? im sure that anteec has made atleast a few psu's that were unreliable, and there are lots of other companies that make unreliable ones too, but saying that no other psu except antec's are reliable is just bullshit.

but i do agree with the part where you said that people who say they have a 500watt psu so its good quality are getting screwed...its just like video cards, people are like "im getting a 64mb video card , its gonna be way better than my 32mb. but they end up buying the exact same model GPU with more vram, and there is marginal improvement over teh 32mb version...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    ok. wat's the point of higher wattage then? isn't it cuz u have more stuff in ur case and they all need power? i mean, i can't even run my current setup with a 300 watt psu anymore

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    meh I've never heard of a psu causing problems. I mean I have a secondary pc thats on 24/7 thats used for basic stuff. Not a 100% sure how old it is but nothing has ever been replaced and it has an amd-k6 chip in it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    Poor quality PSU's don't usually fry things themselves. There may be the odd occasion where high startup current can allow cause a surge on one of the power lines, and if that happens enough times you will end up with blown components.

But the usual problem is poor spike protection. A good quality PSU is more likely to shunt a spike off to ground, and consequently protect your pc. But if the spike is big enough even a good PSU won't be able to cope.

I've never personally had a problem with PSU failure damaging other components, even with the cheapest PSU's, although I've seen quite a few examples and some of those were good quality PSU's. I put that down to the fact that I've always used spike protectors, and the occasions where I've seen damage all had no spike protection.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@20 April 2004 - 04:17
    ok. wat's the point of higher wattage then? isn't it cuz u have more stuff in ur case and they all need power? i mean, i can't even run my current setup with a 300 watt psu anymore
    Thats what I wanna know.

I was thinking of getting something like this or this or this 680w psu by Echo Star and I cant really afford anything more expensive. And I have alot of stuff I need to power.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    I have a 350 watt L&C technology power supply.It is basically a no name brand and I have had no problems with it what so ever.Actually,if you do some good research,you'll see that L&C makes the power supplies that come in Codagen cases,and many other high end cases.I got this PSU for free from a local shop because I bought a used comp from them and the PSU in it was dead so they gave me a brand new one.I had an Enermax 350 watt dual fan PSU and it died.When it died though it did absolutely no damage to any of my components

Quoting Abu,
    "ok. wat's the point of higher wattage then? isn't it cuz u have more stuff in ur case and they all need power? i mean, i can't even run my current setup with a 300 watt psu anymore "

You likely could run your whole system on a "GOOD" quality 350 watt PSU.If you go out and buy a no name brand PSU it may say it is giving you 500+ watts,but what is it really giving you,and how consistant is the power it is giving you?
    If you go to this page you can get a pretty good idea of how high a PSU you need for your hardware.
    Give it a try.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    From the estimate of what I need by that website,I need 293 watts.I have a "No name " PSU that is 350,so it is likely not actually giving me 350 ,maybe 300-325 we'll say.SO according to this I should be OK.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast