Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Improve Windows Xp Pro Security

Originally posted by Wolfmight@18 March 2003 - 05:05
    btw here's a tip for people who defrag they're computer and have Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm on.

1.Disable Norton Antivirus (scan your computer if you havnt in a long time just to be safe)
    2.Open up Zone Alarm and Click the Gold Lock to lock all internet activity. (prevents ip checks and stuff that can slow down Defrag because they make your hardrive proccess small packets.)
    3.Close any extra programs like Kazaa, IE, etc untill defrag is done.

now u can defrag without getting some problems aftwards.
    The best way to defrag your computer without it taking infinity is to reboot in safe mode(hold down F8 when you reboot). In safe mode only the bgare essentials run so there is less to interfere with the defragmentation. also be sure to disable your screensaver and any programs that manage to start even in safe mode.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by MidnightRaven+28 March 2003 - 02:40--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MidnightRaven @ 28 March 2003 - 02:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Wolfmight@18 March 2003 - 05:05
    btw here&#39;s a tip for people who defrag they&#39;re computer and have Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm on.

1.Disable Norton Antivirus (scan your computer if you havnt in a long time just to be safe)
    2.Open up Zone Alarm and Click the Gold Lock to lock all internet activity. (prevents ip checks and stuff that can slow down Defrag because they make your hardrive proccess small packets.)
    3.Close any extra programs like Kazaa, IE, etc untill defrag is done.

now u can defrag without getting some problems aftwards.
    The best way to defrag your computer without it taking infinity is to reboot in safe mode(hold down F8 when you reboot). In safe mode only the bgare essentials run so there is less to interfere with the defragmentation. also be sure to disable your screensaver and any programs that manage to start even in safe mode. [/b][/quote]
    Even better, I agree.
    Safemode... the name says it all hehe

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Top 5 virus tips:

1. Install an antivirus scanner. If price is your excuse, there&#39;s a free alternative available, Grisoft&#39;s AVG AntiVirus. Grisoft free AV scanner wins a thumbs-up from me, but you have to keep those virus definitions updated. Almost all AV scanners allow you to automate the updates. I recommend you don&#39;t try to do it manually, since you&#39;ll probably forget. By the way, scan everything you download, especially stuff from P2P file-sharing services. ...otherwise snag a copy of Norton Antivirus 2003 Pro off kazaa

2. If you receive an attachment from a friend with a personal greeting, it&#39;s relatively safe to open it. If you get an email and attachment such as: "Bob -- I&#39;m specifically sending this picture to you because I want you to check out Sharon... remember her from our fourth period algebra class way back when? I saw her at our 20th reunion and she&#39;s still a babe" -- then it&#39;s probably OK to open the attachment. But if the email just says something like, "I send you this file to get your advice" -- don&#39;t open it. Instead, send an email to the sender (without the attachment) asking if they actually sent it to you. If they didn&#39;t, chances are it&#39;s a virus.

3. Windows user? Update the operating system by using Windows Update

4. Lots of viruses find their way to you by getting your address from cached webpages. So, when posting your email address online, don&#39;t use the @ symbol. Instead, spell it out like this: beckyATtechlive.com. A spam bot won&#39;t recognize it as an email address, but a real human who wants to send you mail will change "at" back to the proper symbol.

5. (For people wanting a secure business computer ->)Useing a macintosh for really important business computers is a good idea, since virus writers usually seek maximum exposure, naturally they gravitate toward writing viruses targeting Windows machines, which dominate the PC landscape.

copied from the original story at http://www.techtv.com/news/security/story/...3423594,00.html

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Poster
    Hey, Wolfmight I noticed you credited your last post to techtv.com but not your first post. Here is where it came from. techspot.com

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    I actually got the info in a document from someone on IRC. they musta got it from there. Thanks for the site n e way, I&#39;ll check out what else they got&#33;

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Poster
    I know this subject is kinda old now, but I have a Q for Wolfmight re: "renaming disabling & default accounts"

When I type in secpol.msc in &#39;Run&#39;, Windows says it can&#39;t find it. I&#39;m running XPHome and it&#39;s right up to date. Anyone still around to answer this one ?

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Yea, also heard home tends to crash more often for some weird reason.
    If i were you, snag a copy of Windows XP Pro (goto the verifieds section of this message board to get a good copy).

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Poster
    Thanks for the tips. XPpro it shall be.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    I noticed some hackers ask newbies in a chatroom to do stuff that also really causes problems.

Example:
    Hacker: Hey, want to become a cool hacker? All you gatta do is tell me your ip addy and i&#39;ll hook u up&#33;
    Newbie: Sure&#33;

Dont do anything someone tells you to do or say inless you really know them, or you can trust them.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Firewall comparison
    Ah yes...which firewall do u want to choose from? there are many, but some are better than others. Here&#39;s Cnet&#39;s Comparison for Firewall Software:

ZoneAlarm Pro 3.1
    ZoneAlarm Pro 3.1 is as good as personal firewalls get. Although you&#39;ll still need an antivirus product to completely protect your PC, we think that the extras in ZoneAlarm Pro are worth the cash--free alternative or not.

The good: Includes an ad-blocking tool and cookie management; hides PC ports from hackers; new interface is easier to use.

The bad: Doesn&#39;t include antivirus defense; no phone support; no Mac version.

Norton Personal Firewall 2003
    Norton Personal Firewall is a hands-off firewall that takes care of business. But don&#39;t buy it on its own; purchase it as part of Norton Internet Security.

The good: Intrusion detection monitors every data packet; easy enough for beginners; blocks pop-up ads and traces hack attacks; stealths all ports.

The bad: Pricey; advanced settings are hard to find; expensive phone support.

Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.0
    Sygate Personal Firewall Pro&#39;s big list of advanced security features makes it suitable for skilled users who don&#39;t need Sygate&#39;s expensive telephone support.

The good: Advanced tools detect Trojan horses, hide your OS and browser, and check DLLs to ensure that they&#39;re not malicious code in disguise; issues easy-to-understand pop-up alerts.

The bad: Doesn&#39;t preconfigure settings for common apps; telephone support costs &#036;75 per incident; doesn&#39;t monitor e-mail for hacker code; dry interface.

McAfee Firewall 4.0
    McAfee Firewall 4.0 beefs up its protection with a more sophisticated intrusion detector that sniffs out worms, but the app is still harder to use than its competitors.

The good: Intrusion-detection system sniffs out suspicious data exchanges; automatically creates rules for popular apps; moderately priced.

The bad: Advanced rule customization too tough for beginners; online support docs are nearly nonexistent.

Tiny Personal Firewall 3.0
    Tiny Personal Firewall has a lot to offer, but it&#39;s hard to use if you&#39;re unfamiliar with firewalls. Unless you&#39;re a security guru, stick to ZoneAlarm or Norton Internet Security.

The good: New sandbox technology traps Trojan horses; settings let you tweak firewall rules; hides all ports so that hackers can&#39;t see your system.

The bad: No longer free; support is virtually nonexistent; cryptic dialog boxes and confusing alerts.

for more info go here:
    Cnet Reviews: Internet security/firewall.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast