Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Cannont Start Up My Computer

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+25 April 2004 - 21:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK &#064; 25 April 2004 - 21:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@25 April 2004 - 14:26
    and to solve those virtual memory problems in the future do this:

right click my computer>properties>click the &#39;advanced&#39; tab>for performance click settings>click advanced>click change at the bottom.

you will now be at a page looking like this:

click custom size:
    • For initial Size type 300

• For maximum Size also type 300

now click set. then go through the long list of OK&#39;s, and restart.
    Why set it at 300MB?
    You obviously have 256MB but he has 512.
    The debate over pagefile size and whether Windows should play with it has been raging for years; when Windows was changing the size all the time, everyone was saying it shouldn&#39;t do that so you should change it to a constant size. That meant people argued over the actual size to set, but eventually it appeared knowledgable geeks found the most efficient use was at 2.5x the RAM installed... which is how XP handles it. The advantage of letting XP control the size is that if more is needed it&#39;ll up it and tell you about it. I have only seen this twice when I only had 128MB installed.
    He should either set it to 768MB, as Windows would, or leave Windows managing it. [/b][/quote]
    I dont have 256mb, i have 512mb...either way, what does that have to do with it? if anything id set it lower if I had more ram

the way I see it, the more ram you have, the lwoer you set it, becuase in theory, windows will need less pagefile... i could be wrong though

edit: that screenshot was taken from my old computer anyway, which does happen to have 256mb, but thats irrelevent, both of my computer are set to 300mb, and neither of them receive nagging from windows about virtual memory.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@26 April 2004 - 02:13
    I dont have 256mb, i have 512mb...either way, what does that have to do with it? if anything id set it lower if I had more ram

the way I see it, the more ram you have, the lwoer you set it, becuase in theory, windows will need less pagefile... i could be wrong though

edit: that screenshot was taken from my old computer anyway, which does happen to have 256mb, but thats irrelevent, both of my computer are set to 300mb, and neither of them receive nagging from windows about virtual memory.
    It&#39;s not really a case of needing less when you have more RAM because of the way XP utilises the pagefile.
    Windows doesn&#39;t just start writing stuff to the pagefile when your RAM is used up, it uses it all the time, putting stuff in there that you might need again later; if you have a program running in the background for a while (as I have for the last three hours), Windows will page the whole program and its memory usage to disk. I&#39;ve seen quite a few people wanting to empty the pagefile completely until all RAM is used up and it&#39;s possible to force Windows to do it but it&#39;s not a good idea as it apparently often makes the system less stable. I&#39;ve also seen people bitching about coming back to NewsbinPro in the morning and it taking ages to do anything because Windows is in essence executing it on disk.
    There are loadsa tweaking utils and analysis tools out there and they all recommend 2.5x installed RAM, in common with every since Win98 came out. This isn&#39;t something I&#39;ve worked out myself (God knows, I wouldn&#39;t have a snowball&#39;s chance in hell of that), just what I found in newsgroups & across the net.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@25 April 2004 - 09:26

right click my computer>properties>click the &#39;advanced&#39; tab>for performance click settings>click advanced>click change at the bottom.

click custom size:
    rofl i set 1 gig and also have 1 gig o ram (i prolly dont need much page file space tho lol

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@25 April 2004 - 14:26

click custom size:
    dude i did that and yea the game wont even run now, do you know what the original settings are because i don&#39;t and i want to change it back

i put it on the sytem manage setting it runs but not as well,

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Mine is set with 512 mb installed at.

Inital size 768 mb
    Maximum size 1536 mb
    MIN 2 mb Recommended 766 mb USED 768 mb

EDIT: Silent VI mine is set at default settings.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by peat moss@26 April 2004 - 05:59
    Mine is set with 512 mb installed at.

Inital size 768 mb
    Maximum size 1536 mb
    MIN 2 mb Recommended 766 mb USED 768 mb

EDIT: Silent VI mine is set at default settings.
    thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12