2x Maxtor 250gb sata
    2x Maxtor 80gb (p)ata
    2x 512mb mem , dual channel
    Tagan 580w psu
    Coolermaster stacker case
    Zalman reserator 1

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker+27 April 2004 - 08:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 27 April 2004 - 08:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@27 April 2004 - 07:27

Securlty and performance; that&#39;s what I want.
    How very Republican of you... [/b][/quote]
    Yes.

Lynx-

The article which sold me on the idea had the goods (controller-wise, and reasonably priced, as I remember) for a 0/1 configuration with 4 drives.

I&#39;ll a bit rushed at the moment, but I&#39;ll try to run it down later.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    raid+SATA = kick@ss combo. my friends DFI board has raid 1.5. lol its 2 SATA drives (200 a piece) and theres an effective 200 gigs of capacity. raid0+raid1 on only 2 drives...

rofl it took me a while to figure it out too... supposedly offers better protection...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    You can do a form of raid 0+1 with only 2 drives. Since with raid 1 both drives are exact copies, it is possible to read block 1 from the first drive and block 2 from the second drive and achieve the added benefits of raid 0. However, it is relatively expensive since half the disk capacity is required for recovery purposes.

Looking at some practical exmples, for 500GB of data you would need 4 250GB disks for R0+1, with raid 5 you would only need 3 disks; but the extra cost of the R5 controller (about &#036;115 vs &#036;70 for R0+1) may make this option less attractive. If the requirement increased to 750GB of data, raid 0+1 requires 6 disks (probably requiring expensive SCSI controllers and disks) but raid 5 still works as it only needs 4 disks.

There are 11 variants of RAID, or "levels" as they are commonly made a referral to.
    Raid levels 2, 3, 4, and 53 are all considered redundant.
    Raid 6 is expensive to implement and only really used in very high availability, high redundancy non-stop systems.
    Raid 7 is proprietory.
    Raid 10 is effectively the same as raid 0+1 but is implemented slightly differently and therefore requires multiples of 4 drives. Raid 0+1 is often misnamed raid 10.

Having dealt with the oddballs, you can see that for practical purposes there are 4 commonly used raid levels - 0, 1, 0+1 and 5.

Useful as a definition of the various levels, but some of the diagrams are wrong and conclusions are wrong. For example on raid 5, what happened to blocks E0, D1, C2 etc? In actual fact there are no "E" blocks.

Sorry if I&#39;ve gone on about this, you&#39;ve picked one of my specialities.

Edit: got broken off while I was posting that, so atiVidia&#39;s post wasn&#39;t there then. He&#39;s got that exactly right.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Good on the both of you.

My understanding deepens; hopefully my pockets will catch up.

What kind of sucks is that my next purchase will almost certainly be a laptop, and my dream machine will have to wait.

If the opportunity comes to pass, lynx, I&#39;ll pick your brain, okay?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lol thx for all the info guys. i got it now... sorry for the late reply dsl was down for awhile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12