Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Harddrive Backup Program

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by trillscout@12 May 2004 - 14:53
    I don't get why you would need these progs if you have a
    backup hdd internal/external?

Unless NG or Migrate allows you to backup installed software
    so when you upload it after upgrading windows the software still
    functions w/o you having to reinstall it.

Or maybe it's because the image file makes it organized and smaller?

It only makes sense if you have one hdd.
    And a DVD writer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my opinion.
    you should quote the person your talking to if more than one person has posted in a thread

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I find the question asked incomprehensible.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by zapjb@12 May 2004 - 16:28
    i tihnk he means, why do you use software for backing up if you just copy the files to another hard drive anyway...

im not sure if this is right, but isnt using the software better becuase then for a restore you already have working boot files and stuff, it rights them itself, instead of having to install windows then the image file...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24

What I'm trying to say is do these progs allow you to restore software(say winamp)
    to windows in a way where you won't have to reinstall it to work again?

I once backed my files on another hdd so I could change from xp to 2k.
    when I put all my files back, I had to reinstall all my software in order for it
    to register and boot up.

im not sure if this is right, but isnt using the software better becuase then for a restore you already have working boot files and stuff, it rights them itself, instead of having to install windows then the image file...
    are the working boot files what allows windows to recognize previously installed software?

Am I making myself clear?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by trillscout@12 May 2004 - 22:26

What I'm trying to say is do these progs allow you to restore software(say winamp)

when I put all my files back, I had to reinstall all my software in order for it
    to register and boot up.

are the working boot files what allows windows to recognize previously installed software?

with Norton Ghost you just stick the disc in and 10 mins or so later your computer is back to how is was when you created the disc

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    with Norton Ghost you just stick the disc in and 10 mins or so later your computer is back to how is was when you created the disc
    what if you wanted to upgrade windows? Would it still work or do you have to
    install everything over again?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Originally posted by trillscout@12 May 2004 - 22:51
    what if you wanted to upgrade windows? Would it still work or do you have to
    install everything over again?
    If you going to install a new operating sytem, then you would have to reinstall all your software

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by trillscout@12 May 2004 - 17:26

to register and boot up.

thats because you didnt copy the registry over with you...when u use norton ghost, it copies EVERYTHING over that is on the hard drive. so when it restores it puts back everything that was installed.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I use AME for various reasons. Two reasons are catastrophic HDD failure & f'd up programs that screw up ones OS. Saves weeks of time.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    alright, so today i finally reinstalled windows. then all updates\programs i need and twekaed it all perfectly. then i went for the imaging...it worked great! i chose to burn directly to cd, it was a pretty slow process and took 2 cds for 2gb of data! thats pretty good compresssion

i tried a restore, and it worked perfectly. so i just wnated to let you guys know how it went, and to thank everyone who helped me. B)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast