Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell

BANNED
    just modem cables mate.ask em which has the best retention..

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Or better yet... save the cash and invest in broadband. Offering 150k for the same price as dial-up if cash is a factor.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    And do they have names , those grey and white cable.I think I can't go to an electro shop and ask for some grey cable
    Mostly the grey (silver) are 2pin connecters the white are all 4 pins connected this is why "some" modems have a problem they don't like all pins connected besides you only need 2 anyway and they are nornally cheaper too.
    The two modems you have used are both software driven your better off with a hardware one, bloodly hell I must have about 5/6 upstairs nobody I know uses a modem now sorry if you can't get broadband.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    why dont you just go to a store that specializes in cables (like readioshack over here) and ask for teh best type of phone cable?

or go for some cheap broadband...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    I can't get either Broadband or DSL here.It's just not avaible in my region.

The two modems you have used are both software driven your better off with a hardware one
    Software driven ??? Pls explain !? What's the difference ??

why dont you just go to a store that specializes in cables (like readioshack over here) and ask for teh best type of phone cable?
    There are no specialized shops here.

P.S.

My current cable has 4 pins.I'll try to get a cable with 2 pin, if you think that would help.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    I've read something about 56k modems and protocols (V.90 , K56Flex, x2, .. etc.) at 56k.com

They say that my modem and the remote modem (ISP) have to have both the same protocol using, for best performance.My ISP supports/uses V.90 protocol.

But how can I determinate the protocol of my modem ??

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Originally posted by Dark Ride@16 May 2004 - 04:02
    The two modems you have used are both software driven your better off with a hardware one
    Software driven ??? Pls explain !? What's the difference ??
    Okay.. I'll give it a shot.. I have a Conexant 56K modem which is fairly similar to yours.
    Sadly, mine is a HSF modem, so the drivers aren't compatible with your HCF.

There are 2 main types of modem (for the sake of this explanation)

Hardware modem, which is capable of doing all the work of transferring data to and from the internet by itself.

Software modem. This type of modem uses software that is part of the drivers to do most of the processing work when it comes to data transfer. Because there are less chips etc, in a software modem, they are cheaper to buy and so thats the type most folks go for.

The catch is that damned software component. Its made purely for Windows. If you want to use Linux, then you have to go and buy a hardware modem that is O.S. independant.

As for telling if your modem is v90, do you still have the box it came in?
    It should be written on there somewhere. If not, go back to the store and check the display rack.

Oh.. one more thing.. I'm guessing (and remember, guessing is the key word here) that what's slowing your modem speed down is the drivers. My modem only worked properly when I was using Win98SE. The generic Conexant drivers I got for XP were crap, to put it kindly. Then a mate told me this...

Go to here and sign in with the following:
    username: drivers
    password: all
    Once you're logged in, search for the latest XP drivers for your particular modem.

Edit: Remember to avoid any drivers that are labelled Generic. You want the SPECIFIC drivers for your modem. Rockwell/Conexant modems are very picky about drivers.

If the new drivers don't get things moving faster, THEN go and buy new cables.... or even better, just return your modem and get a better one.

Hope that helps... good luck.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    My current driver are GENERIC, I'll try to find some more specific drivers for the modem.If that doesen't help I'll return the modem, or ask how how to solve the problem (if possible) in the shop where I bought the modem.

I'm pretty sure my modem is a V.90 (that's what the modem log says when I query the modem)

Thanks for the reply uNz[i]

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    My current driver are GENERIC, I'll try to find some more specific drivers for the modem.If that doesen't help I'll return the modem, or ask how how to solve the problem (if possible) in the shop where I bought the modem.
    I can't understand why it didn't come with drivers I thought you'd bought it off a mate anyways have a look and read then follow the links for what you require, best of luck.

http://modemsite.com/56k/rockhcf.asp

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    I went there and downloaded the most recent driver for my modem.After updating the drive, a error message appeared (fullscreen in DOS i think).
    I restarted my PC and when Windows started up, the system reported "New Hardware Found" and a few seconds later the same error message appeared, and I had to restart the system.That happend then everytime when I reset my PC.

I then tried quickly to get into the Device Manager (before the system dispplays the message) and dissable/uninstal the device.That worked and the error message did not come up.

Then I've installed the old drivers, and everything works as before, with the same connection speed (36 kb/s )

Please, can anyone help me out !!??

:helpsmile:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast