Thread: Gentoo 2004.1 Released

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    The versions really don't matter with gentoo. All you have to do for the latest version is type:

emerge sync

The disk is only for people who want the prebuilt binaries like KDE and Gnome. You can copy them over to your current portage tree I suppose.

I prefer compiling everything. It takes a lot longer but in the end is worth it. There is really no need to even use gentoo unless you install from stage 1 or 2.

Stage 3 users go through the same install process but end up with a prebuilt system. If you tweak your system right with the correct c flags and use variables then most if not all your applications when compile flawlessly and run a lot better than they would on any other distro.

Gentoo is a bitch to install!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Ok, thanks for the explaination.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by LSA@30 April 2004 - 16:02
    Ok, thanks for the explaination.
    No prob, Gentoo can "explain" it a lot better than I can.
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

You should give it a try..................if you got the guts.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I've been reading that handbook, gentoo looks interesting

I think i'll check it out, but I don't know if i'll be able to do a stage 1 or 2......56k

Thanks for the help, shn.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I had some spear time so I decided to do everything from scratch.

Stage 1 tarball, and a newly self-compiled 2.6 kernel. Just got my sound card working under alsa. It took me a while to decide to switch to 2.6 kernel but I finally run one now. I can't tell too much of a dif.

My system feels a lot lighter. Genkernel script for gentoo gives you basically other kernel modules and other things you don't need and makes the kernel bloated. I also used some different cflags to optimize my arch (added march=i686, and MAKEOPTS="-j2") just to name a few.

I'm considering getting the company I intern for to use gentoo now on a few servers since I now know the install process like the back of my head.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    How long did that take? Days? Sounds like a nice setup though

Just curious, but why did you edit out your vmware guide?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by LSA@13 May 2004 - 07:32
    How long did that take? Days?  Sounds like a nice setup though

Just curious, but why did you edit out your vmware guide?
    The only one's that struggle with installing gentoo are the ones with no patience. It took me less time to install from a stage one and compile my own kernel then it did the first time I installed gentoo when I used a stage 2 and genkernel. To be exact, it took about 17 hours give or take.

Funny thing is I barely even use it. I've been trying out other distros for a while now. A gentoo system is like a brand new car.................you don't drive it everyday!

As for the vmware topic, I find myself asking questions pertaining to this place that really don't make sense. If it offended anyone then hey, there is always M$'s Virtual PC. Knock yourself out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    I need a job....my puter would never be able to do a stage 1. 56k and a 633MHz Celeron

/me fills out application for the grocery store

I still don't understand why you edited it out, but that's your business I guess.