Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'nerve Gas Bomb' Explodes In Iraq

Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@17 May 2004 - 16:07
    Desperate to make us leave before we hand over things to the Iraqi's. They'll try anything to get us to just up and leave and it aint happening.
    "us"? are you currently enlisted and stationed in iraq? awesome. got get 'um, g.i. joe.

also, a bit of light reading on a WMD/chemical tangent. http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...939624187.html

“My job isn't to assess the government's information and be an independent intelligence analyst myself. My job is to tell readers what the government thought of Iraq's arsenal.” -- New York Times reporter Judith Miller

by Miller's reasoning, the press is completely unnecessary since its job is just to report whatever its sources (the government, exiles who stand to gain from a war, etc) tell it, rather than to report the truth. disgusting. we may as well just eliminate the middlemen and get our 'ganda directly.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    I don't think the people over at The New Yorker would agree with Judith Miller's description of her job!

This kinda makes you wonder why the insurgents don't just relax for six weeks until the hand over. Then they can create chaos for a newly established government that doesn't have a grip on what it's doing yet and being more effective, rather that going up against the already established US administration.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by Alex H@17 May 2004 - 22:41
    I don't think the people over at The New Yorker would agree with Judith Miller's description of her job!

This kinda makes you wonder why the insurgents don't just relax for six weeks until the hand over. Then they can create chaos for a newly established government that doesn't have a grip on what it's doing yet and being more effective, rather that going up against the already established US administration.
    uh yeah...I..I..said that.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    i think the inherent dishonesty of many journalists is that they claim they're being purely objective, by simply reporting the fact that someone says such-and-such. the idea is that they're not taking sides. but by selecting which people's statements to report, without giving serious consideration to the opposing viewpoint or to the allegiances/motives of their sources, they do take sides.

for example: if an exiles' organization makes wild accusations against Saddam Hussein, do you report their statements without comment, or is it appropriate to point out that they might be making such claims because they personally stand to profit from a regime change?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    I don't mind when reporters take sides as long as it in the opinions section of the newspaper. That's not the case at the New York Times their opinions section is on the front page.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    ClubDiggler's Avatar Poster
    The speculation here is unbelievable. We could get together and write a brand new episode of the x-files with this stuff. Great Material.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@18 May 2004 - 00:29
    I don't mind when reporters take sides as long as it in the opinions section of the newspaper. That's not the case at the New York Times their opinions section is on the front page.
    I don't mind when reporters take sides as long as it's my side they take.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+17 May 2004 - 19:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 17 May 2004 - 19:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BigBank_Hank@17 May 2004 - 16:07
    Desperate to make us leave before we hand over things to the Iraqi&#39;s. They&#39;ll try anything to get us to just up and leave and it aint happening.
    "us"? are you currently enlisted and stationed in iraq? awesome. got get &#39;um, g.i. joe. [/b][/quote]
    "us"= America
    myself = American

Although I may not be in the battlefield firing bullets Americans at home are paying for the war. I&#39;m paying taxes that are paying for bullets,bombs,food, ect. for the troops.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Hank

I think the concern in the ME is that the Coalition have plans never to leave. Given the sheer number of people that support one group or another, will we ever be in a position to say that the country is secure?

We could create a strong Iraqi military only to see it control the country when we leave. After all, many of the Ba&#39;athist senior officers are re-appearing on the scene with our blessing. Will we care if they do run the country - if they are pro-West as Saddam was in the 80s?

Will the "moderate Shi&#39;ites leaders turn out to less moderate than we thought after the elections?

These and many other tricky questions remain to be answered.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@18 May 2004 - 08:54
    Although I may not be in the battlefield firing bullets Americans at home are paying for the war. I&#39;m paying taxes that are paying for bullets,bombs,food, ect. for the troops.
    okay... did you volunteer your dollars, or were they drafted? my tax dollars are thinking of dodging the draft by hiding out in canada.

actually, the tax money we&#39;ve already paid has nothing to worry about. that money wasn&#39;t spent on the invasion/occupation/reconstruction. the u.s. couldn&#39;t actually afford to start a war, so it did what any red-blooded american would do: put that shit on the credit card and go into debt. and if you have to leave a pile of bills for your children to pay after you die, well then AIN&#39;T THAT A SHAME LOLZ.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast