Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ronald Reagan On Everything Thread

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Busyman@12 June 2004 - 19:15
    1. AIDS was first reported to the CDC in 1981. Reagan significantly hindered research and education efforts to fight it.

Dr. C. Everett Koop, his surgeon, wrote "political meddlers in the White House" had complicated his work on the disease, and "at least a dozen times I pleaded with my critics in the White House to let me have a meeting with President Reagan" on AIDS in the mid 1980's.

Mr. Reagan did not make extensive public comments on AIDS until 1987.
    As FC has noted, Reagan was all over AIDS with money, whether he gave it lip service or not.

C. Everett Koop was a bit eccentric in his views; nothing in his litany, however, indicated that AIDS research was underfunded, and indeed, it was not.

Also, certain politicos tried to forward the notion Reagan was anti-gay, and had a vendetta against them.

As he was a veteran of almost 30 years in Hollywood, and supremely popular amongst his peers, I find the assertion laughable.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    2. Reagan continued to grant tax exemptions to private schools that discriminated against minorities.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Originally posted by Busyman@13 June 2004 - 02:51
    2. Reagan continued to grant tax exemptions to private schools that discriminated against minorities.
    Reagan never "continued to grant" any such thing; if you choose to use such reasoning, then Carter before him was guilty of the same lack of attention to detail.

He was also guilty of failing to address rent-control in NYC.

Tiger Woods plays golf at a club somewhere in Georgia which has a standard "disinvite" policy for women.

Here's another way of looking at what you've been told is "discrimination"; these are four short columns written by someone you, specifically, should be familiar with, even though you are not now:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomass...s20030401.shtml

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomass...s20030402.shtml

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomass...s20030403.shtml

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomass...s20030404.shtml

If your eyes have been opened slightly, please keep reading:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomass...s20031015.shtml

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomass...s20040608.shtml

If that doesn't clarify a few things for you, then I have at least saved the cost of sending you a book, and you likewise the time to read it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Originally posted by j2k4+13 June 2004 - 09:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 &#064; 13 June 2004 - 09:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@13 June 2004 - 02:51
    Reagan never "continued to grant" any such thing; if you choose to use such reasoning, then Carter before him was guilty of the same lack of attention to detail.

He was also guilty of failing to address rent-control in NYC.

Tiger Woods plays golf at a club somewhere in Georgia which has a standard "disinvite" policy for women.
    [/b][/quote]
    Those issues did not come up to President&#39;s door step.

There is a difference.

We know the Prez can&#39;t fix everything but if things are made aware to him and action or better yet his inaction is like, "It&#39;s none of my business" then there is a problem.

Also rent-control in NYC and Georgia&#39;s "disinvite" policy are clearly state issues which we know Reagan with his smaller government stance would have never addressed.

However, federal tax exemption is not a state issue and Reagan chose inaction when the issue came to his doorstep.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    very well put i like. look out next they will give the vote to woman and worse

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Originally posted by Busyman@13 June 2004 - 12:10
    However, federal tax exemption is not a state issue and Reagan chose inaction when the issue came to his doorstep.
    The issue found it&#39;s way to Reagan&#39;s doorstep?

What exactly did he say about it?

How did he phrase the part where he decided it was okay for tax-exempt private schools to discriminate?

Did you read any of Sowell&#39;s stuff?

What did you think?

Make any sense whatsoever?

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Originally posted by j2k4+13 June 2004 - 15:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 &#064; 13 June 2004 - 15:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@13 June 2004 - 12:10
    The issue found it&#39;s way to Reagan&#39;s doorstep?

What exactly did he say about it?

How did he phrase the part where he decided it was okay for tax-exempt private schools to discriminate?

Did you read any of Sowell&#39;s stuff?

What did you think?

Make any sense whatsoever? [/b][/quote]
    He said by law he had to tax exempt the schools which of course goes without saying.

He exerted no pressure in changing it.

Nevertheless, The Supreme Court did in 1983.

edit: I read the links. What do "The Great Fraud" links have to do with what this thread. Who&#39;s talking about affirmative action?

School vouchers? Again what is that link for?

The Ronald Reagan link enlightened me none. 2 great results that I&#39;m well aware of.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    I gathered (apparently incorrectly), that your post about discrimination in tax-exempt private schools indicated you had some concerns about discrimination against minorities in education, given your previously stated black perspective.

My links had to do with that, I think.

I hadn&#39;t tumbled to the fact your only concern was to knock Reagan.

I understand that now.

EDIT:

Somehow a post I had intended earlier is not here; probably my incompetence-I will attempt to re-create it.

Reagan (according to Busyman) didn&#39;t "apply pressure" to get the tax-exempt status of private schools which practiced discrimination changed.

This nonetheless was addressed by the Supreme Court in 1983, in the third year of Reagan&#39;s first term.

Who&#39;s ultimately to say whether or not he had a hand in the Court&#39;s decision?

In any case, the issue was decided on his watch, so I will exercise accepted political practice and assign credit for same to the Reagan administration, where it belongs.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Originally posted by j2k4@13 June 2004 - 23:46
    I gathered (apparently incorrectly), that your post about discrimination in tax-exempt private schools indicated you had some concerns about discrimination against minorities in education, given your previously stated black perspective.

My links had to do with that, I think.

I hadn&#39;t tumbled to the fact your only concern was to knock Reagan.

I understand that now.
    That man&#39;s a genius.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    *bump*

Late edit on my last post.

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast