Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Formatting Dvd-rw

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Chewie UK@12 June 2004 - 20:04
    You need to format the disc for packet writing if you want to be able to drag & drop files to it. Erasing the disc will not format it, it'll erase it.
    If you burn an image to it, you won't be able to make changes to it. You'd have to erase it and burn again or format it.
    but to burn a dvd, he is just writing to it as data, so he shoudln't even be able to use packet writing software at all...

but i guess that is worth a try still...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'v made the same mistake giving dvd-rw to friends you have to Format a rw first . Its like a floppy disk because you can write, drop and drag or rewrite to it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    so he shoudln't even be able to use packet writing software at all...
    Not even windows xp built in packet writing? Does this mean I should disable recording on the drive?
    I'v made the same mistake giving dvd-rw to friends you have to Format a rw first
    How do I go about formatting it when the disc does'nt show up on my computer?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    After finalising a disk, it is rendered incapable of being formatted.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    Originally posted by Amarjit@16 June 2004 - 16:14
    he said its dvd-rw, this means its re writable meaning it can be formatted...
    correct me if im wrong

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Yeah its a dvd-rw, when I was burning the sample dvd files the option not to finalise the disc was greyed out so I had to do it to test my authored dvd, My current situation is that when the disc is inserted it shows up as a dvd-rw in the drive, it also says that it has 0 bytes free and 0 bytes used so I find it weird that a just erased disc from nero is'nt recognised by windows afterwards.

I know its only a disc but I'm trying to sort it before wrecking anymore discs

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by chinook_apache+16 June 2004 - 09:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chinook_apache @ 16 June 2004 - 09:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Amarjit@16 June 2004 - 16:14
    correct me if im wrong [/b][/quote]
    nope your right thats why there called DVD-RW.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by peat moss+16 June 2004 - 18:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peat moss @ 16 June 2004 - 18:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by chinook_apache@16 June 2004 - 09:01
    <!--QuoteBegin-Amarjit
    @16 June 2004 - 16:14

correct me if im wrong
    nope your right thats why there called DVD-RW. [/b][/quote]
    Yep you can always format it.

Should there really be a 2 page guide on how to format a disc?
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by keyser_soze@16 June 2004 - 23:08
    Yeah its a dvd-rw, when I was burning the sample dvd files the option not to finalise the disc was greyed out so I had to do it to test my authored dvd, My current situation is that when the disc is inserted it shows up as a dvd-rw in the drive, it also says that it has 0 bytes free and 0 bytes used so I find it weird that a just erased disc from nero is&#39;nt recognised by windows afterwards.

I know its only a disc but I&#39;m trying to sort it before wrecking anymore discs
    I had exactly the same problem.

Record a disk - appears ok.
    Erase the disk - appears to be ok.
    Try to record the disk - 0 bytes free, disk useless. Lost 3 disks.

I&#39;m pretty sure the problem wasn&#39;t Nero as it did the same thing if I erased with Alcohol, and in any case they would have heard about it pretty darn quick if it was a Nero problem.

I suspect it is an incompatibility between your recorder and your disks.

At the time I was using a Sony DRU-500A with firmware 2.0f. I have since upgraded to firmware 2.1a and the problem appears to have been corrected, same brand now erases ok.

Note, appears ok after first record, but to date 2 of 4 disks used (excluding the 3 lost) have had read errors on them and I haven&#39;t got round to checking the other 2 yet. I suspect it was part of the same problem.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Should there really be a 2 page guide on how to format a disc?
    I suppose if there is&#39;nt an answer to the prob yet then it might be necessary, unless your about to put it in? are you?

Thanks lynx for your input I&#39;ve updated my firmware about 6 week ago when I first installed the rewriter but will check to see if there are anymore. You sound like you were having the same problem, the weird thing is that if I burn the disc with nero it plays but shows empty disc in my pc during this thread a few ppl have said format a dvd-rw but no1 has said how, is just erasing the disc with nero enough to format it? I&#39;m starting to wonder if once the disc has been used by windows(roxio) packet writing it can&#39;t go back to being a dvd-rw although this is probably wrong, even if this was happening and it was stuck in p/writing format then I should be able to use it with windows but it does&#39;nt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast