Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cd Drive Isnt Reading The Frkn Cd's

Poster
    OK the cdrw/dvd drive was reading cds perfectly a while ago, this was before i updated windows xp to the max, installed graphic card drivers, mobo drivers the works!!!

Now it appears that the cdrw/dvd drive doesnt want to read cds at all anymore.

Why has this happened? Sorry if this sounds really nooby but i have tried all the obvious options...

and yeah i did a search but i didnt find much..

thanks alot

P.S Specs are down below

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Not reading media? Or the drive is not recognised?

I had a problem with a cd filter called cdr4-2k (or something like that). It is a direct-cd driver from Roxio. I've never had Roxio installed on my pc, but I still got that PoS screwing my drive, so it must have come with a windows update.

That was on Win2k, and only screwed my DVD-RW after a firmware update, so I can't guarantee you've got the same problem or that the filename will be the same for XP.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    im not to sure if its the same filename but it does sound like your problem is similar to mine (or was your problem)

so how can i fix this? It mustv stuffed up my cd drive when i installed a XP update.

my computer recognises the drive.... the drive itself just doesnt recognise the cds that i put in it lol

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Hmm the only windows update I can think of relating to the cd drive would be the HiMat support (i think that is how u spell it), i never installed it becuase i have no use for it. Try going to addd\remove programs and uninstalling that.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    damnit that didnt work

grr

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Dray_04@17 June 2004 - 08:20
    damnit that didnt work

grr
    I'm sorry

lol, umm, try going to device manager, right click the drive, uninstall, then restart and let it install again.

edit: just thought of a new idea. This will see if it is hardware or software related. Put in your windows xp cd, restart computer, make sure motherboard is set to boot fomr cd, then see if it boots to the cd. if not it's hardware related, if it does then it is software.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+17 June 2004 - 16:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 17 June 2004 - 16:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dray_04@17 June 2004 - 08:20
    damnit that didnt work

grr
    I&#39;m sorry

lol, umm, try going to device manager, right click the drive, uninstall, then restart and let it install again.

edit: just thought of a new idea. This will see if it is hardware or software related. Put in your windows xp cd, restart computer, make sure motherboard is set to boot fomr cd, then see if it boots to the cd. if not it&#39;s hardware related, if it does then it is software. [/b][/quote]
    Good point, we haven&#39;t ruled out an actual hardware error yet.

If we can rule that out, we can send him off to Softwareworld.

I don&#39;t think we&#39;ll hear anything for a bit anyway, it&#39;s still dark in NZ.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Sounds familiar this

BTW
    I had a problem with a cd filter called cdr4-2k (or something like that). It is a direct-cd driver from Roxio. I&#39;ve never had Roxio installed on my pc,
    The built in software for burning cd&#39;s with windows xp is made by roxio so thats maybe where the driver came from.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by keyser_soze@18 June 2004 - 11:46
    Sounds familiar this

BTW
    I had a problem with a cd filter called cdr4-2k (or something like that). It is a direct-cd driver from Roxio. I&#39;ve never had Roxio installed on my pc,
    The built in software for burning cd&#39;s with windows xp is made by roxio so thats maybe where the driver came from.
    so u saying i should download some drivers from roxio?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    i tried your theory ross but that didnt work.... (the device manager one)

im gonna try that boot to XP one soon.

but i have a question.... how the hell do i find out what my cd drive is called without taking it out?

i have aida32....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast