Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cd Drive Isnt Reading The Frkn Cd's

lynx's Avatar .
    Do the install cd test first. You don't need to install, simply get to the point where it asks you whether to install or repair.

If that doesn't work simply take it back, there's no point in wasting both your and our time if the drive is faulty.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@18 June 2004 - 12:26
    Do the install cd test first. You don't need to install, simply get to the point where it asks you whether to install or repair.

If that doesn't work simply take it back, there's no point in wasting both your and our time if the drive is faulty.
    it cant be faulty because it was working before i updated windows...

there must be an update which overrides the firmware of the CDRW or sumthing stupid like that.

Surely some1 else has had this problem before...

1) new setup
    2) update drivers and windows updates
    3) suddenly cdrw drive doesnt want to read disks nemore. (i insert a cd, and double click the drive... and it sez "there is no cd in the drive"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Dray_04+17 June 2004 - 20:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dray_04 @ 17 June 2004 - 20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@18 June 2004 - 12:26
    Do the install cd test first. You don&#39;t need to install, simply get to the point where it asks you whether to install or repair.

If that doesn&#39;t work simply take it back, there&#39;s no point in wasting both your and our time if the drive is faulty.
    it cant be faulty because it was working before i updated windows...

there must be an update which overrides the firmware of the CDRW or sumthing stupid like that.

Surely some1 else has had this problem before...

1) new setup
    2) update drivers and windows updates
    3) suddenly cdrw drive doesnt want to read disks nemore. (i insert a cd, and double click the drive... and it sez "there is no cd in the drive"

[/b][/quote]
    Just try the boot disc idea, see if it works, if it does then we will be CERTAIN that this is software related, and not hardware. And if it doesn&#39;t work, then we know it is a faulty cd drive again (lol) and you should return it.

just try it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    What does it say in Deivce manager? Can you not rollback drivers?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Oh ya, and to find out what ur drive is called, look in device manager under cd&#092;dvd drives and see what the model name for yours is. THen you can search that in google with firmware on teh end to find updates.

If device manager for some reason doesn&#39;t say it, aida32 should somewhere.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    yeah i no what it is.

its a BTX Top-G

whateva the f*&&#036; that is&#33;

BCO 52161M

I have found and downloaded the firmware for it.... but im all sceptical about flashing the drive with DOS...

...i really dont want to stuff it up, ....as iv only had it for 1 day lol.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Dray_04@17 June 2004 - 21:38
    yeah i no what it is.

its a BTX Top-G

whateva the f*&&#036; that is&#33;

BCO 52161M

I have found and downloaded the firmware for it.... but im all sceptical about flashing the drive with DOS...

...i really dont want to stuff it up, ....as iv only had it for 1 day lol.
    well, it is already stuffed up, so u might as well?

(after trying my suggestion from before )

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    I tried updating using firmware from driverguide but following the directions nothing happened

>I made a DOS boot disk
    >I extracted the firmware to a disk
    >booted into DOS
    >typed in "FL 3" and nothing happened

Im guessing i did something wrong.

Also nothing happened when i selected the drive as 1st boot in BIOS (with Mic Corp Pro cd inserted)

please help me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Dray_04@18 June 2004 - 13:40
    Also nothing happened when i selected the drive as 1st boot in BIOS (with Mic Corp Pro cd inserted)

please help me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Sounds like the drive is stuffed.

Take it back.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I might be wrong here but if u update the firmware I&#39;m not sure u can go back, I think it actually changes something with the drive, the reason I think this is that Iupdated my firmware for my dvd-rw drive and when I uninstalled then reinstalled it on another ide it still had the same firmware version, although this might be wrong I&#39;m just going off my own experiance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12