Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese Kid Has To Write Apology In Own Blood

lynx's Avatar .
    Is right and wrong culture based? I think not, although I concede that acceptability of things which are wrong certainly may be.

In the same way, we in the west find beheading of abductees disturbing, yet although we would deplore the murder (in other ways) of kidnap victims, we would not necessarily describe it as barbaric or with such distaste. By contrast, in the Middle East execution (which I assume is how the kidnap groups describe the killings) by beheading is accepted as quite normal.

How things have changed. My home town has a replica of a gibbet (on Gibbet Street, not surprisingly). The original is believed to date back to the 11 century. Contrary to popular belief, a gibbet is NOT used for hanging but is an early form of beheading device, predating the guillotine by over 500 years. Perhaps we should consider our own history before passing judgement, and also look at how our own current behaviour may appear to other cultures.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Always liked 'stupeurs...et tremblements' by Amelie Nothomb (stupors and trembings translated)

It's a book about a girl who goes to work in a Japanese company. She grew up in Japan, but moved back to Belgium afterwards. Based on a true story and said to give a great impression of the Japanese society.

I'm only 21 and I remember teachers hitting and even kicking students. The school I went to was very strict though, a bit too strict. I think that discipline around 12-13-14 is really important but it should loosen afterwards. I changed schools afterwards, and went to a far less strict school. By the time I was in 6th grade, we were allowed to eat and drink coffee during most classes, and besically decide what we did during the classes. Just shows that giving kids some responsibility of their own can work great too. No one failed that year and we all had great grades.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    masterpiece21's Avatar 5C 12.24.42
    And this teacher hasn't been arrested for this?i would think making a student cut himself n write an apology with his own blood calls for some type of punishment.i fall asleep in class all the time,the most i get is a paper ball in the head or sent2the principle.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    But it's a different culure...if they don't think it's necessary to take it any further that's their choice.
    Not so long ago physical abuse was common in schools here too

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    But where do you draw the line??
    Yes physical abuse is a not so distant memory, but making a child cut himself to do lines in blood??? Even if it only took a small nick to the tip of the finger to get the blood flowing I think the punishment out weighs the crime a bit.

But yes I admit, this is based on my culture not the Japanese culture.
    I understand the Japanese culture places a very high priority on education. Their school days are very different to the Western schooling system.
    For instance, the children do not move around from class to class, the teachers do, with classes of about 45 to 50 students, they even have their lunch in that class room.

It has only been recently that they stopped classes on Saturdays.

I guess if the parents are not going to press charges against the teacher then they are satisfied with the education system, or at least accept it.
    <span style='color:green'>Never look to others for happiness...it lives inside you

</span>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12