Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting A Hdd

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    That explains the "bigfoot" part of the name.
    How about "quantum"?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@26 June 2004 - 22:26
    That explains the "bigfoot" part of the name.
    How about "quantum"?
    That was teh company, Quantum. They now only handle backup hard drives and stuff for networks, and handed all of their PC harddrive stuff down to Maxtor.

Another reason why i hate Maxtor (Quantum was a very very crappy harddrive company...)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@27 June 2004 - 03:30
    Quantum was a very very crappy harddrive company...
    I'd have to disagree with that.

Quantum used to be just about the best IDE drive maker, they almost never failed.
    But as capacities grew they just didn't do the R&D to keep up, so they brought out the Bigfoot to increase capacity while still using the same technology, and it was much bigger than the competition at the time. But of course it couldn't last.

After that, I'd say your comments are probably about right though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx+26 June 2004 - 22:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 26 June 2004 - 22:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@27 June 2004 - 03:30
    Quantum was a very very crappy harddrive company...
    I&#39;d have to disagree with that.

Quantum used to be just about the best IDE drive maker, they almost never failed.
    But as capacities grew they just didn&#39;t do the R&D to keep up, so they brought out the Bigfoot to increase capacity while still using the same technology, and it was much bigger than the competition at the time. But of course it couldn&#39;t last.

After that, I&#39;d say your comments are probably about right though. [/b][/quote]
    From what my friend experience (like 3 or 4 drive replacements in one year, probably just a really bad model or something, think it was like a 15gb or something? ) plus my crappy drive as well, what am i supposed to think?

Obviously i find that they are teh worst harddrive maker ever Maxtor not far behind...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I&#39;ve got a Quantum Fireball that is quite a good little drive actually. I was very surprised with it&#39;s speed, it&#39;s rated at 5400rpm but it&#39;s pretty fast, it&#39;s also 30gb
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I was at my friend&#39;s house today.
    Recently his computer went all messed, constant freezing for no reason (no bsod&#39;s or anything) (windows xp and windows me and windows 98 all froze). Tried reinstalling so many times. Nothing worked.

Finally, he opened up the computer one day to clean it to see if that would help. He left it open a few days while he used it, then one day he said he saw this big orange dot on teh hard drive. Glowing. The drive had caught on fire. lol. Wrecked both his hard drives (a 6gb and a 10gb, no big loss) and his motherboard, ram, and cpu. rest was fine.

A computer store guy replaced his motherboard and cpu and ram for him for 40bucks. he put in 256mb, an asus motherboard, and a pentium 3 733mhz (better than teh 633mhz celeron from before). After that he used a 3gb drive for about 3 days, then bought a 40gb western digital.

Till today i didn&#39;t see it, but i was over, and that drive is SILENT&#33; you don&#39;t hear the clicking from searching at all. it is so quiet.

Ofcourse he has spyware galore on that computer, so it is slow srating up. But if not for programs not opening slow at startup, you wouldn&#39;t have even known the computer was still trying to boot.

edit: Did i mention that the drive that caught on fire was a Quantum Bigfoot?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    I was talking about the original Bigfoot, which I believe came out in 1997, and had a max size of 6.4GB. It wasn&#39;t too long before the disk drive division was sold to Maxtor, although Quantum may have brought out a higher capacity drive before that happened. The later drives just couldn&#39;t match the performance of the competition, which may be what led to their downfall.

A friend bought a Bigfoot just after they were released, and it is still going strong to this day.

Edit: The biggest Bigfoot 2.5GB, the Bigfoot CY was up to 6.4GB, than came the Bigfoot TX at up to 12GB and the TS at up to 19.2BGB. It was probably the bigger drives which were crap.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12