Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Physically Disabling A Modem

Originally posted by Barky+8 July 2004 - 17:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Barky @ 8 July 2004 - 17:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Storm@8 July 2004 - 18:06
    no, its normal LAN, and i plug her into the router, but cause MSN down/uploads dont work properly behind a router, she keep plugging it into situation #2, which is really annoying when im downloading something&nbsp;
    I have the solution, follow these steps:

1 Go into her room

2 Disable the modem from the computer

3 Step on the modem with your foot, don&#39;t be afraid to use force

4 open the window

5 Throw the modem out.

Solved&#33; [/b][/quote]
    then none of em can get on the net
    <span style='color:black'>websites that are actually good</span>
    http://www.sputnik7.com - music videos &amp; short films &amp; anime
    http://www.atomfilms.com - more short films
    http://www.howstuffworks.com - learning can be fun
    http://www.caedes.net - probably the best wallpapers on the net

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Forward the ports... Just do it, not that hard, and just saves you and her having to keep switching the modem&#092;router&#092;config around.

Or try making her IP static so that when she tries to connect the modem it won&#39;t work...then she&#39;ll eventually give up lol.

edit: BEST IDEA&#33; crazy glue the ehternet wires into the ports so they cannot be removed. Then what&#39;s she gonna do? NOTHING. hahaha.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@8 July 2004 - 19:21
    Or try making her IP static so that when she tries to connect the modem it won&#39;t work...then she&#39;ll eventually give up lol.
    i like this one......... hard to trace what the problem is (especially if you dont have to much computer knowledge), and she cant blame me

how do i do it? (win XP)
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by Storm+8 July 2004 - 18:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Storm @ 8 July 2004 - 18:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@8 July 2004 - 19:21
    i like this one......... hard to trace what the problem is (especially if you dont have to much computer knowledge), and she cant blame me

how do i do it? (win XP) [/b][/quote]
    open up network connections
    right click -> properties of the connection

select TCP/IP from the list then click Advanced (not to sure if thats what its called)
    select manually set IP then enter the IP address in top box

I think this will only work if you router supports NAT
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Storm+8 July 2004 - 13:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Storm @ 8 July 2004 - 13:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@8 July 2004 - 19:21

how do i do it? (win XP) [/b][/quote]
    While the computer isplugged into teh router, go to network connections (through control panel), look at what her ip address is after clicking the network connection then looking on the left side. also right down the subnet mask as well.

now right click the network connection>go to properties>click internet protocol (tcp&#092;ip)>properties>check off "use the following ip address" and type in the information you need. Here is an explanation of each:
    IP address: Put the first number you wrote down from before
    Subnet Mask: The second number you wrote down from before.
    Default Gateway: Will be your router&#39;s IP address.

for DNS server:
    Preferred DNS server: Router&#39;s IP goes here as well
    Secondary DNS Server: You can leave this one blank.

good luck, and here is an example of mine:
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/rossco_2004/networkconnection2.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    If the router configuration has the option, you can disable her connection by MAC address.

edit* nevermind, I misread.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by ObiWan@8 July 2004 - 13:52
    If there is no NAT it isn&#39;t a router.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+8 July 2004 - 19:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 8 July 2004 - 19:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ObiWan@8 July 2004 - 13:52
    If there is no NAT it isn&#39;t a router. [/b][/quote]
    Doh

I don&#39;t know why but i thinking of about a H/W firewall

also i recommend that the setup is as follows:

Router IP:

PC1:

PC2:

etc..

when setting up the IPs on each machine set the default gateway to 192.168.0.250 and the subnet mask will probably be 255.255.255.0

PS. the 192.168.*.* will not be seen from the outside (anthing on the internet side of the router)
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12