Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Going On With Kazaa Lately

Originally posted by Broken@13 July 2004 - 05:52
    Sorry digital nirvana.
    I only started it and got the count, I didn't really play with it. I didn't see the need, I thought I was onto what was going down.
    I see

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by Broken@13 July 2004 - 00:32
    From reading in the Diet K forum, I have also read that the problems maybe caused by insufficient number of supernodes for the network to handle all the regular nodes. I think this is a rather believable scenario considering the decrepit condition of the network.
    This makes sense, the people who are less likely to upgrade to newer versions of Kazaa (lite or otherwise) are probably on dial-up and Win 9x/ME. They CAN'T be supernodes.

But the people who are on broadband are probably running Kazaa Lite less and less. So of those that can be supernodes, there are fewer and fewer of them as a ratio of them to dial-up users.

Once some threshhold has been reached (probably before it reaches 1 supernode per 100 dial-up users), it all breaks down craptacularly.

This could occur even if there's MILLIONS of total users!

Right now, there's probably just portions that are overloaded and cannot find enough supernodes. Imagine what happens when the whole network gets that way.

POOF! Gone!
    Bet the makers of Kazaa didn't see THAT coming!

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    If this whole thing is due to lack of SuperNodes (SN), - and this is the only loggical thing as for now - we are also guilty of the current state of FT. As K++ has the option to not to be a SuperNode, many K++ users that might be a SNs enabled it and thus decresed the number of SNs. 2.6 also has this option.
    In my opinion the whole network will not go down but will brake down as CCCP (Soviet Union) into small ovrloaded parts that will eventually reach the state of dynamic balance. (More users will overload SNs so that users will not be able connect, so there will be less users thus a small network will be operational)

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Originally posted by Switeck@13 July 2004 - 15:25
    This makes sense, the people who are less likely to upgrade to newer versions of Kazaa (lite or otherwise) are probably on dial-up and Win 9x/ME. They CAN'T be supernodes.

But the people who are on broadband are probably running Kazaa Lite less and less. So of those that can be supernodes, there are fewer and fewer of them as a ratio of them to dial-up users.
    Just curious, where did you pull that out of the air? i have broadband and xp and still (occasionally) use k++2.4.3 (updated tools manually though)..The one simple reason of why I havent upgraded to Klite 2.6, is because its still a beta and I tried it once, and just plain did not like it

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Originally posted by hungrylilboy@12 July 2004 - 13:52
    to be honest no its not interesting.
    1)Kazaa/Fast Track is full of viruses, fakes and corrupted files
    2)User base is indeed dropping as users move to other networks
    3)If people cant be bothered to ensure they have the latest build of something, when it is very very easy to find, then its their own fault
    Ditto. :beerchug:

FT is dying b/c what was once 1st class is now 3rd class. Most folk have simply moved on. Accept it or complain, your choice.

Thought I'd edit and add this from Slyck:

July 7, 2004 - 22:00

Network Users
    FastTrack 2,737,390
    eDonkey 2,127,859
    Overnet 630,784
    Warez 562,657
    Gnutella 365,472
    MP2P 267,580
    DirectConnect 201,755
    Filetopia 3,526
    iMesh 0

eDonkey/Overnet Rapidly Approaching FastTrack
    FastTrack (Kazaa) Continues its Slide
    Does Kazaa matter?
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by Digital Nirvana@13 July 2004 - 11:56
    Just curious, where did you pull that out of the air? i have broadband and xp and still (occasionally) use k++2.4.3 (updated tools manually though)..
    I use BearShare, it connects to the Gnutella network which is rather similar to the fasttrack network.
    Fasttrack network has Supernodes and Nodes.
    Gnutella network has UltraPeers and Leaves.
    (Regular Peers were all there were in the earlier version.)

Both leaves and nodes tend to be the 'slower' or firewalled users.
    Supernodes and UltraPeers *HAVE* to be unfirewalled broadband connections -- and not your typical run-of-the-mill broadband connections either, or they will tend to be crash-happy due to occassional network spikes/bursts. They also have to be running Win 2k or later. Win 9x/ME cannot handle 100's of connections at once.

BearShare has running statistics for how its v4.3.0 and later versions are doing on the Gnutella network. (these stats map ONLY BearShare versions 4.3.0 and later&#33
    http://www.bearshare.com/stats/

Back around January to April of this year, BearShare's numbers grew so rapidly that the number of UltraPeers found could not support them all. See the bottom graph on this page:
    http://www.bearshare.com/stats/totalsize.html

People were reporting being unable to connect to the network -- even though they were trying for HOURS straight. They were attempting to connect to UltraPeers, but out of the 100's found they were all full.

Jan-24-2004:
    b32: Over 60 seconds to get 1 Ultrapeer
    http://www.bearshare.net/showthread.php?t=...ghlight=connect

Request: raise ultrapeer requirements
    http://www.bearshare.net/showthread.php?t=...light=promotion

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    as a side note to all the chicken littles on here and on slyck.com (the sky is falling):
    my kazaa lite v1.7.2 still connects to the 2 million plus userbase.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Nice to know that you never had any problems with your Kazaa program.

I hope the sky does fall in on the Kazaa network. Then eveyone would be forced to move on to bigger a better things. To say the least, I am excited to stand by a watch it happen.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Switeck+14 July 2004 - 20:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 14 July 2004 - 20:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Digital Nirvana@13 July 2004 - 11:56
    Just curious, where did you pull that out of the air? i have broadband and xp and still (occasionally) use k++2.4.3 (updated tools manually though)..
    I use BearShare, it connects to the Gnutella network which is rather similar to the fasttrack network.
    Fasttrack network has Supernodes and Nodes.
    Gnutella network has UltraPeers and Leaves.
    (Regular Peers were all there were in the earlier version.)

Both leaves and nodes tend to be the &#39;slower&#39; or firewalled users.
    Supernodes and UltraPeers *HAVE* to be unfirewalled broadband connections -- and not your typical run-of-the-mill broadband connections either, or they will tend to be crash-happy due to occassional network spikes/bursts. They also have to be running Win 2k or later. Win 9x/ME cannot handle 100&#39;s of connections at once.

BearShare has running statistics for how its v4.3.0 and later versions are doing on the Gnutella network. (these stats map ONLY BearShare versions 4.3.0 and later&#33
    http://www.bearshare.com/stats/

Back around January to April of this year, BearShare&#39;s numbers grew so rapidly that the number of UltraPeers found could not support them all. See the bottom graph on this page:
    http://www.bearshare.com/stats/totalsize.html

People were reporting being unable to connect to the network -- even though they were trying for HOURS straight. They were attempting to connect to UltraPeers, but out of the 100&#39;s found they were all full.

Jan-24-2004:
    b32: Over 60 seconds to get 1 Ultrapeer
    http://www.bearshare.net/showthread.php?t=...ghlight=connect

Request: raise ultrapeer requirements
    http://www.bearshare.net/showthread.php?t=...light=promotion [/b][/quote]
    Bearshare installs "Onflow" and "Savenow" if you didn&#39;t know, it&#39;s adware or spyware, can&#39;t remember which, better remove that, if it still works without them.

10. File Sharing   -   #30

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast