Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What's Going On With Kazaa Lately

Poster
    Originally posted by SnnY@15 July 2004 - 09:52
    Bearshare installs "Onflow" and "Savenow" if you didn't know, it's adware or spyware, can't remember which, better remove that, if it still works without them.
    Yes, the regular BearShare "adware supported" comes with that -- but you can easily remove those even before the 1st reboot using the uninstallers that come with them. (You may have to find them in their folders off the C:\Program Files folder though.)

The BearShare betas don't include any of the adware/spyware junk, (which explains why they're about 1/2 MB smaller) although they expire after 2 weeks use... but if you're always running one of the latest 5 versions of BearShare betas, it'll never expire.

Gnutella network performance is almost the same whether you use Limewire, BearShare, or Shareaza... although Shareaza has minor connection issues with BearShare and Limewire right now. That'll probably be cleared up shortly as Shareaza's now open source and the Gnutella Developer's Forum (they argue about what Gnutella features and compatibilites are) is actually turning out new and USEFUL developements to add to Gnutella.

One I'm REALLY hoping for is a currently only an experimental way for 2 firewalled behind-router broadband connections to DIRECTLY upload and download from each other after being 'tricked' into connecting via a 3rd party and using UDP packets which have slightly less overheads than TCP packets.

A varient of that may even allow the downloader to NOT know what the ip address of the uploader is... they're just getting a file from 'somewhere'. The 3rd party which establishes the connection would know who both uploader and downloader are -- but not exactly what they're sharing, unless the connection was made by file hash directly instead of file KEYWORD hash. (Hashing a keyword can result in many keywords having the same value for purposes of determining a 'match'.)

Don't expect firewalled UDP transfers anytime soon though, it's anywhere from 3 months to 6 months before the FIRST Gnutella client supports bleeding-edge features.

But if it works, Limewire will certainly have it first as they are the ones doing this research!

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Originally posted by hungrylilboy@12 July 2004 - 19:52
    to be honest I am gay.
    1)Kazaa/Fast Track is full of viruses, fakes and corrupted files
    2)User base is indeed dropping as users move to other networks
    3)If people cant be bothered to ensure they have the latest build of something, when it is very very easy to find, then its their own fault
    you found it interesting enough to post on the thread didnt you!

anyway i think it was interesting, and i think you may be onto something as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234