Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Applying Thermal Paste

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@12 July 2004 - 18:04
    Edit: Beaten both times now.
    sorry for doing it one of those times.

@SB, yes that will work fine. I used an airmiles card most of my times, but also used an old bus pass once too (made same way as my student card).

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+12 July 2004 - 23:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 12 July 2004 - 23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Shiranai_Baka@12 July 2004 - 17:04
    Erm.. Can I use like my school ID card? haha its still plastic =P
    Depends on what school and the plastic they use. [/b][/quote]

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    one prob with spread it is that there might be air pockets between the cpu and the hsf. putting a dab on the center and letting the hsf spread it itself works too.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@13 July 2004 - 01:59
    one prob with spread it is that there might be air pockets between the cpu and the hsf. putting a dab on the center and letting the hsf spread it itself works too.
    for a P4 that would work.

For an AMD i wouldn&#39;t though becuase you may have too much thermal paste then it spreads over the edges of the core, shorting out the bridges on the actual cpu. It also may not get spread out evenly enough. all of the core of an athlon chip gets hot. on a p4 only the middle of the heatspreader is hot.

besides, if you go as thin as you are supposed to with thermal paste you shouldn&#39;t have any air bubbles.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+13 July 2004 - 02:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 13 July 2004 - 02:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@13 July 2004 - 01:59
    for a P4 that would work.

For an AMD i wouldn&#39;t though becuase you may have too much thermal paste then it spreads over the edges of the core, shorting out the bridges on the actual cpu. It also may not get spread out evenly enough. all of the core of an athlon chip gets hot. on a p4 only the middle of the heatspreader is hot.

besides, if you go as thin as you are supposed to with thermal paste you shouldn&#39;t have any air bubbles. [/b][/quote]
    oh yea, thats right. i was talkin bout p4s. the amd cpus have a really tiny core. my bad

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Some people use razorblades to spread teh silver.

And the coat is supposed to be so thin as to nearly not be seen.

Tho&#39; I wonder..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    can I curse? FUCK!
    omfg really? I just put a thin layer but you can still see the coating... O.o but my temps did drop by 5C

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Sounds like you did it right then.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Well, i didn&#39;t notice a diffferene between thick and ultra thin, but kai did. (kaiweiler).

He put a thick coat on and his temps were higher than before. Then he tried an ultra thin layer and his temps dropped way lower than the original.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    lynx's Avatar .
    As long as you don&#39;t go WAY over the top (so that it spreads across the bridges) any excess will get squeezed out anyway.

Here&#39;s how I do it.

Put a small about on the die and spread it around (as everyone else has said). Put the heatsink on, twist it slightly, then fasten the clips. THEN remove the heatsink and check you&#39;ve got a nice rectangular pattern. If not, apply a little more and repeat.

Use a small piece of wood or plastic (I use a cocktail stick) to carefully lift off any excess from around the die and from around the edge of the impression on the heatsink, then put a tiny dab (from the piece of wood/plastic you just used) on the centre of the die. Replace the heatsink giving it that little twist again, then fasten the clips.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12