Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Adapter Question

lynx's Avatar .
    There you have it.

I've seen and used both Scart and s-video, you've never used scart because the USA is so insular it doesn't like ideas from outside. The consequence is that you've never seen scart, so your knowledge is obviously limited.

You can try to twist my words all you like, I didn't say rf was better than s-vid, I said it was sufficient to provide enough info for svhs to work properly. If you've got a signal that comes from an analogue source, you can put it through a s-vid connector if you like but it won't improve the picture quality over an RF signal.

In any case, you will probably want audio too, and in the case of a vcr you will probably want signals in both directions, and an indicator when an output signal is present to enable auo-switching. These are provided in one connector with scart and is consequently prefered worldwide (except in the USA) to avoid having a tangle of wires, wrong connections, confusion for the consumer etc.

Btw, scart can carry s-video signals, but rarely does since no-one really wants to work with lower standards.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    muchspl2
    bla blA fucking bla
    we don't have scart for a reason
    just admit that the majority of svhs vcrS have s-vid inputs and we will be ok
    you refuses to admit that I'm right

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@15 July 2004 - 20:02
    There you have it.

I've seen and used both Scart and s-video, you've never used scart because the USA is so insular it doesn't like ideas from outside. The consequence is that you've never seen scart, so your knowledge is obviously limited.

You can try to twist my words all you like, I didn't say rf was better than s-vid, I said it was sufficient to provide enough info for svhs to work properly. If you've got a signal that comes from an analogue source, you can put it through a s-vid connector if you like but it won't improve the picture quality over an RF signal.

In any case, you will probably want audio too, and in the case of a vcr you will probably want signals in both directions, and an indicator when an output signal is present to enable auo-switching. These are provided in one connector with scart and is consequently prefered worldwide (except in the USA) to avoid having a tangle of wires, wrong connections, confusion for the consumer etc.

Btw, scart can carry s-video signals, but rarely does since no-one really wants to work with lower standards.
    SCART isn't in the US, like you said, it's also not in canada, infact i don't think it is anywhere where NTSC is used...I think SCART is only in PAL areas.

Could be wrong though, just that i've never seen it before.

and to settle this argument, how about if sampson lives in the US then we'll agree with muchspl2 that he should go for a (non-quasi playback) svhs VCR...and if he is outside the US (possibly canada too, i have never seen an svhs VCR to say for sure) then LYNX is right that it is not an svhs VCR that he needs.

ok? agree?

sampson come settle the argument.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    lynx's Avatar .
    What a shame. You don't even realise that X-Box has scart connector. Whoops, couldn't be, it is made by an American company.

Edit: in any case, so what. Your argument was that he had to have s-video so he had to get a svhs vcr because they are the same thing. I simply proved that they are not the same thing by showing you a svhs vcr without s-video.

My point is proved, accept it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@15 July 2004 - 20:28
    What a shame. You don't even realise that X-Box has scart connector. Whoops, couldn't be, it is made by an American company.    
    No it doesn't...(not here anyway...)

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    lynx's Avatar .
    My apologies, should have said "is available".

Link

Notice, "enables RGB video signals for improved video output".

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    Originally posted by muchspl2@16 July 2004 - 01:09
    bla blA fucking bla
    we don't have scart for a reason
    just admit that the majority of svhs vcrS have s-vid inputs and we will be ok
    you refuses to admit that I'm right

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@15 July 2004 - 20:34
    My apologies, should have said "is available".

Link

Notice, "enables RGB video signals for improved video output".
    No idea how to hook that up. Looks really complicated.
    I prefer something like this:

aww...simplicity at it's best. B)

seriously though, the US are stupid for not adopting the scart idea and using it. So much simpler, and better, should be used everywhere. I always wonder when the US will come out with something "standard." Every component you buy hooks up in a different way.

Just like the robinson (or is it robert something, i dunne it starts with an R lol), the US couldn't stand something invented in canada so they won't let any "R" screw drivers be sold in the US.

But it is the standard for carpentry here in canada

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456