Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Count Update Status

Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by ugluk@21 March 2003 - 17:16
    ...some threads in the Worlds are bound to go a little off-topic...
    Personally, I don't see any problem with that - as long as the messages are constructive and appropriate to this board. The problem is when users start replying with spam, just to increase their post count. In a community this large, there's always going to be a few trouble makers, that's just a fact of life. But if someone continually breaks the forum rules, it's up to the rest of us to let them know it. If they keep it up, report them to the Mods and let them decide what action to take.

Cheers to the Admin/Mod Team for making things fair again. :beerchug:

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    ya this will decrease problems of threads like:

y the posts do not count in disussion
    etc.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    This sucks even more. You mods are off your nuts on these 2 recent decisions about post & star counts. I get 2 stars ripped from me. Then every idiot spammers gonna get 10,000 posts reinstated & have 5 stars to my 3 stars. Sorry but thats fucked up. I help people with a lot of my posts. A lot (not all) of these idiot spammers are just that. And some fn noobs gonna look at their 5 stars & believe that KL has spyware or the sky is falling. And said fn noobs not gonna believe me cause I only have 3 stars & 10,000 less posts than these fucking idiot spammers. Yeah, way to go. Repent before this gets out of hand.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I applaud these changes-
    It'll have the effect of things/posters seeking their own level.
    I don't know the workings of the minds of others, but I would not WANT post credit for what goes on in the lounge-post count=Q & A-not the blathering we do in the lounge.
    I think the Mods do a great job.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    I am very suspiciouis of post counts, of all the boards I have been a member off, I find them very sus.

What should be looked at is the quality of the replies,.

If the reply quality aint looked closely at, a hundred posts could mount up very easily, with useless non - helpfull replies.

for example, look through the board at random & count the number of useless replies u see, all counting to post counts.

replies such as, " what a good idea, thats a good thing, how you doing, where have u been, " very crude examples I know, but you get the jist of what I mean.
    In just that, I could have chalked up 4 posts, you multiply that by 10 different topics, you get the idea.

Boards are meant to be for help & the likes, not for every day chit chat, which adds to post counts.

Just my view on it.

This behaviour may explain why some members have such high post counts.
    Just what would be there real post count, if all the useless comments were subtracted from the post counts ?

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Sometimes posts such as "That's a good idea" or "That's a good thing" aren't useless posts. Not all the members speak English as a first (or even second) language. It's difficult to express yourself well in a language not your own. Sometimes other people are looking for feedback, so having a "What a good idea," post is helpful.

Generally, posts that deal with "Where have you been?" are in the Lounge, where posts don't count anyways.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #17
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Boards are meant to be for help & the likes, not for every day chit chat, which adds to post counts.
    Yes but we're not just a bunch of robots (except maybe Bender). When you get to know some of the people here, it's more like having a conversation than writing a technical manual, and that means throwing in the occasional friendly chit chat.

This behaviour may explain why some members have such high post counts.
    Just what would be there real post count, if all the useless comments were subtracted from the post counts ?
    Yes there are some users who post a lot of useless spam just to increase their post count, but they quickly get a bad reputation and if the Mods don't take action against them, other users will (just read some of the posts about Wocus). I firmly believe that all posts should be counted.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #18
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    My feeling is I would'nt care about about some spammers 10,583 post count. But it irks me that fn spammer who's been here a month or so (basically a noob) got over 1000 posts. So they get 5 stars. And I earned my 4th & 5th stars like in 7 months for 500 posts. And they got yanked away. That's what fn pisses me off!

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by zapjb@27 March 2003 - 01:54
    My feeling is I would'nt care about about some spammers 10,583 post count. But it irks me that fn spammer who's been here a month or so (basically a noob) got over 1000 posts. So they get 5 stars. And I earned my 4th & 5th stars like in 7 months for 500 posts. And they got yanked away. That's what fn pisses me off!
    Does an obviously intelligent person like you really care about this. Or are you having a laugh. It's wee pictures for feck sake. It's not real. There's a whole world out here to care about. Why don't you join us.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #20
    nooooo more change... change can never be good lol

Book World!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast