Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's The World Coming To

Prodigy Girl's Avatar The Wrong Child
    I live in the downtown area of a fairly large city (USA). Most who live in the suburbs think that my neighborhood is dangerous, but I've yet to encounter problems with my neighbors. Though I gotta admit that I was bullied for most of my time in public school.

Oh, and thanks for that link, RatFaced. I've been looking for something like that for a while. B)

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by Prodigy Girl@16 July 2004 - 23:17
    I live in the downtown area of a fairly large city (USA). Most who live in the suburbs think that my neighborhood is dangerous, but I've yet to encounter problems with my neighbors. Though I gotta admit that I was bullied for most of my time in public school.

Oh, and thanks for that link, RatFaced. I've been looking for something like that for a while. B)
    No problem, I found it to help my son with his Geography Homework once...

After him bugging me to look stuff up for individual countries 6 hours solid....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    ya, its a p[roblem eeverywere u go.

luckely im 6'2 and 180 pounds, so noone says anything to me.

its a real ego problem these days, i have grade 5's picking fights with me.

im in 10 now...

just smash the big one or the leader of the group and the rewst will shut the fuck up

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by Rat Faced+16 July 2004 - 22:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced &#064; 16 July 2004 - 22:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-elitek@16 July 2004 - 01:15
    from the global perspective, the whole world is sinking, just take U.K and New Zeland as examples, crime rate in U.K rises so high even higher than the U.S(probably not murder rate), its not a "gentleman" society anymore, New Zeland pretty much follows U.K it&#39;s not as peaceful and quiet as you think.
    Crime per Capita, New Zealand is 2nd in the world at 108.12 per 1000 population (Dominica is 1st @ 112.79)

The thing is, that number is totally meaningless.

What is a Crime in one country isnt in another.

An example... Is Jaywalking or Hitchiking a "Crime" where you live?

Now if your talking "Violent Crime" then please define which type...

For example New Zealand falls to 12th place at 0.21 per 1000 population in "Rape"...still quite high up that world league, but less than a third as many as Australia in 3rd place (0.79), Canada in 5th (0.74) but close to USA at 9th (0.30)...but still nearly twice UK at 13th (0.14).

For Murder:

USA leads the "West" at 24th place with a wopping 0.04 per 1000 population. Not bad when you consider Columbia (1st place) at 0.63 or 2nd place South Africa (0.51).

But thats still 4 times higher than either UK or New Zealand (both at 0.01 and near the bottom of the table)

BTW:
    Want to know who lead the world here? The Lowest Rape and Murder per capita of population? Why those "savages" in the Arab States of course.... Saudi Arabia and Yemen etc...

Arent Statistics wonderful?

Source = Nationmaster [/b][/quote]
    where was I ? ok, what I said was... I am not cartman, sorry I am lost again, what I said was I was talking about moral state not crime rate, did I? a little maybe, crime rate just a sample of the degradation of moral state, i.e, the crime rate in New Zeland climbs up sheerly comparing itself(not other countries) 10 or whichever years ago, other degradations include jaywalking or even spitting, swearing, indifference, impatience...so on whatever you can think of. is crime rate linked to other moral states, I think yes, more people commit crime, fewer people act politely and decently. what causes this? many factors, but simply as moral. its a global trend not some individual countries. its unstoppable. I don&#39;t know if this is what Buddha referred to coz I just studied Buddhism superficially for a short period of time. I hope I&#39;d cleared my points
    ban band ban

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    You cannot use a word like "Moral" in a world context, just as you cannot use the word "Crime".

Neither have universal value, and rely upon the Society in which you live to give them meaning.

I keep arguing this point over words like "Liberal", "Conservative", "Left" and "Right" (latter 2 in relation to politics, not direction) elswhere....

As an example... you&#39;ve stated that 1000-2000AD was a period of morality.. you might want to check that against history

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I would tend to stick with the view that things have got better not worse. I don&#39;t think I would liked to have bumped into Atiila the Hun, Ghengis Khan or Vlad the Impaler. I would not have been too keen being a slave in the Roman Empire or burned at the stake as a heretic in the medieval period either.

Bad people, bad leaders and wars have been with man for a very long time. I don&#39;t think we are any worse or better off now than at any other time in this respect. However, from a Utilitarian perspective, life is better for a greater number than at any time. I appreciate that this is not the case in the poorest countries where misery and death continue to haunt their daily lives.

What is it with religions that they always consider the golden age either in the past or yet to come? I was unaware that Buddhism was prone to this also.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@17 July 2004 - 18:08
    You cannot use a word like "Moral" in a world context, just as you cannot use the word "Crime".

Neither have universal value, and rely upon the Society in which you live to give them meaning.

I keep arguing this point over words like "Liberal", "Conservative", "Left" and "Right" (latter 2 in relation to politics, not direction) elswhere....

As an example... you&#39;ve stated that 1000-2000AD was a period of morality.. you might want to check that against history
    lol, well, forget about it, don&#39;t take this one seriously.
    ban band ban

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by Biggles@17 July 2004 - 18:51
    I would tend to stick with the view that things have got better not worse. I don&#39;t think I would liked to have bumped into Atiila the Hun, Ghengis Khan or Vlad the Impaler. I would not have been too keen being a slave in the Roman Empire or burned at the stake as a heretic in the medieval period either.

Bad people, bad leaders and wars have been with man for a very long time. I don&#39;t think we are any worse or better off now than at any other time in this respect. However, from a Utilitarian perspective, life is better for a greater number than at any time. I appreciate that this is not the case in the poorest countries where misery and death continue to haunt their daily lives.

What is it with religions that they always consider the golden age either in the past or yet to come? I was unaware that Buddhism was prone to this also.
    I guess I&#39;d misinterpreted Buddhism in this one, you might want to check it coz I wasn&#39;t quite sure as I said.
    ban band ban

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12