Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Does This Msg Mean?!?!

Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    What i said is that windows was setting up more virtual memory because of the amount of appplications he was running or perhapes the amount of ram that one application was using. The little "notepad" that virtual memory is wasn't big enough to accomadate everything.

No, not all files run in physical memory at every minute. That is reserved for those componets of that program(s) that are running at that time. Meaning, that if you are running an application that requires some 256mbs of ram to run properly so that all the nessecary componets can be accessed speedly, and you only have 128mbs installed windows will have to swap between ram and virtual memory for those componets. It will result in slowdown. Why, because instead of going to ram to cpu it will have to be searched for on the hard drive, then loaded to ram and then to cpu.

And I also subjested that if the program was something that was going to be used regularly, it would be a good idea to invest in some more ram.

Is all of this correct?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Broken@18 July 2004 - 06:46
    What i said is that windows was setting up more virtual memory because of the amount of appplications he was running or perhapes the amount of ram that one application was using.  The little "notepad" that virtual memory is wasn't big enough to accomadate everything.

No, not all files run in physical memory at every minute.  That is reserved for those componets of that program(s) that are running at that time.  Meaning, that if you are running an application that requires some 256mbs of ram to run properly so that all the nessecary componets can be accessed speedly, and you only have 128mbs installed windows will have to swap between ram and virtual memory for those componets.  It will result in slowdown.  Why, because instead of going to ram to cpu it will have to be searched for on the hard drive, then loaded to ram and then to cpu.

And I also subjested that if the program was something that was going to be used regularly, it would be a good idea to invest in some more ram. 

Is all of this correct?
    If that's what you meant then you should've written that, not:
    ...you've ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).
    so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this
    ...because that implies Windows only uses the pagefile when physical RAM is full.

I had an argument with my eldest daughter when she said it wasn't her fault she failed a history test because the teacher didn't understand what she'd written. I explained to her that if you're explaining something to someone, you have to make yourself understood and using the I know what I meant excuse is absolutely no defence.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I was anwsering the question.
    The sentence "...you've ran out of room for everything your running in you pysical memory (RAM).so your system is using part of your hard drive to make up for this"
    is absolutly true, as is the rest of my first post. If there was more physical memory, there wouldn't be a strain on virtual. You read my post with one intention. And did not even consider what I had writen.

Jumping to conclusions,
    "Thank you for alerting us to your lack of understanding of the way Windows pages memory."
    does one thing....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .

Just thought I'd save you the trouble, Chewie.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by lynx@18 July 2004 - 10:45

Just thought I'd save you the trouble, Chewie.
    LOL
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12