Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposal For Bittorent Torrent Section

Site Owner
    I don't want to risk getting the site shut down either. I do not see however how posting a link to a place to download something is illegal when people are not downloading from this site.

That would be like someone getting arrested for writing a book on how to make a bomb, or how to steal from a vending machine, wouldn't it? Don't freedom of speech laws protect against this kind of thing?
    Brian

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #22
    Poster
    definantly yes

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #23
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by rookiecrd1@25 July 2004 - 22:04
    I don't want to risk getting the site shut down either. I do not see however how posting a link to a place to download something is illegal when people are not downloading from this site.

That would be like someone getting arrested for writing a book on how to make a bomb, or how to steal from a vending machine, wouldn't it? Don't freedom of speech laws protect against this kind of thing?
    Brian
    You're probably right Brian, and if you have nothing to do with the trackers you are even less accountable.

Still I think we should say no to pr0n torrents though.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #24
    Site Owner
    Most of the feedback is postive, but I have talked to a few people whom say it would risk getting the forum shutdown. This I do not want.

Brian

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #25
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I think torrent files are okay in the US aren't they not?

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #26
    Site Owner
    Try to find me some literature on the legality of torrent links being posted. I don't want to move forward until I am sure we will not be shut down.

Brian

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #27
    Originally posted by rookiecrd1@26 July 2004 - 00:04

Brian
    If I am correct there have been lawsuits in the US (and other countries) about hyperlinks pointing directly to illegal content. I don't know to what extend this may apply to torrents. Hashes are no problem, but torrents contain sources too.

Nevertheless, the Internet is full of illegal stuff. Removing content upon request of it's owner (e.g. M&#036 usually avoids any legal troubles.

The Anarchist Cookbook is illegal in the US, if I am not mistaken.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #28
    Originally posted by Entity101@25 July 2004 - 23:23
    Nevertheless, the Internet is full of illegal stuff. Removing content upon request of it's owner (e.g. M&#036 usually avoids any legal troubles.
    So we do it until someone says something?

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #29
    TheRealDave's Avatar †Problem child
    i think suprnova had a problem a while back where M$ thretened to close them down if they didnt remove all M$ products, they did so and they're still there. Now they have M$ products back so i dont see whats up there

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #30
    Suprnova is hosted in Slovenia though, I don't think thats actually got any laws governing that sort of thing

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=475

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast