Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: All New Me

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Jeez lynx and VB, I figured that you guys already knew what the tubing was for.
    Ok then.
    The nylon clamps I'm using ( sold in the electrical dept. of Home Depot) don't really grab the steel rods all that tightly.
    As a result, the drives could slide up and down the rails.
    The motherboard, having 9 clamps, didn't move so much.

I cut the tubing to fit the space between each clamp...now the drives are fixed in location and I didn't have to paint the ugly rods either...a "two birds with one stone" kinda deal.
    Pretty clever, eh?
    Image Resized
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/PSUIn.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>
    Here's a general view of how the project stands as of tonight.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I see. Neat.

I also like the way you have put the motherboard in upside down.

I think I see where this is going. The air intake in the lower front, the CPU and I guess a future exhaust at the same level at the back will make for great crossflow.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #43
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@12 August 2004 - 22:23

I think I see where this is going. The air intake in the lower front, the CPU and I guess a future exhaust at the same level at the back will make for great crossflow.
    Hmmm.
    Ya think?

No.

Edit:
    A question...will a floppy drive operate properly in any orientation?
    Say, on it's side or maybe on it's end ( standing upright)?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #44
    Yeah. No problem with the floppy. Put it the way you like.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #45
    My guess would be that he has the mobo in upside down so that the cpu is at the bottom in line with that fan hole on the left. I figure he will make another fan hole at the same height but on the right and then possibly make a duct going straight through to his heatsink and then out the other fan hole which would cause a great airflow due to the lack of bends and turns in the duct. Just a guess and it's probably wrong, but it'd definatly work
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #46
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@13 August 2004 - 05:44
    Yeah. No problem with the floppy. Put it the way you like.
    Excellent!
    That news is such a relief, VB, I can't tell you how much simpler that makes things.

It also means that I can ( temporarily, at least) ignore the floppy drive issue and move on to the CPU cooling....much more fun.
    The trick here is to cobble up some prototypes without having to mess up the case.

Now...where did I put that Torin blower?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #47
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I have the floppy standing on its side in one pc, works fine, that.

Like VB said.

But don't put it in with the slot pointing to the sky.

It'll just collect crap that way.
    You'll get dust and whatnot in the drive.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #48
    Originally posted by SnnY@13 August 2004 - 07:16
    I have the floppy standing on its side in one pc, works fine, that.

Like VB said.

But don't put it in with the slot pointing to the sky.

It'll just collect crap that way.
    You'll get dust and whatnot in the drive.
    Ah, who cares. It's only a floppy drive afterall. They also have door for a dust cover.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #49
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@13 August 2004 - 07:13
    My guess would be that he has the mobo in upside down so that the cpu is at the bottom in line with that fan hole on the left. I figure he will make another fan hole at the same height but on the right and then possibly make a duct going straight through to his heatsink and then out the other fan hole which would cause a great airflow due to the lack of bends and turns in the duct. Just a guess and it's probably wrong, but it'd definatly work
    hmm, well i thoguht it was just becuase that was where the previous motherboard was since at goes the other way around than in atx cases....now that i think about it they DON'T go that way.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #50
    Hi guys.

First post from my new home.
    Clocker Frankensteined me together just to see what the new heatsink was like.
    No shrouds or anything fancy, just the Torin blower aimed at the Aerocool.
    Kinda tickles my nether regions, really.
    With the blower running on 12v ( out of a possible 24v) it is nearly dead silent.
    There are no system fans running at all, only the PSU fans ( on low).

Obviously, there are no sidepanels either.

MBM5 reports a board temp of 22C and a CPU temp of 31C ( at idle).

The blower is not positioned at all where I thought it was going to go...if I can convince the lazy bastard to experiment with some different placements maybe things will get a bit better, but he's so chuffed with himself that it could take a while.

Right now Clocker is preoccupied tweaking the Windows install on the new Raptor HDD, so he'll prolly leave me in this disgraceful state for a few hours.
    Maybe after dinner, sated by human food ( how do you people eat that stuff?), he'll be more amenable to my blandishments and we'll try some different blower layouts.

As you were.
    <span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Resistence is futile.</span></span></span>

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast