Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: All New Me

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Hi kids...I'm baaaack!
    Too bad about Photobucket, eh?
    Guess I was a little too greedy trying to run my log in two different forums.
    Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Dead pics aside, progress has been slow and painful but ultimately, I have prevailed.

CPU cooling was the big issue and I was determined to make this Sprocket's coolest case (in all senses of the word).
    The Aerocool was an interesting diversion, but ultimately not suitable for this project*.
    Believe me, I tried, but in the end I was not able to provide the necessary airflow in an elegant and neatly packaged manner.
    Perhaps on a board that was set up in the normal way it would work fine, but for my upside down layout it just wasn't working out. Space was an issue and overcoming the problem would have required making some radical modifications to the case...a move I was unwilling to persue in the event it didn't pan out.
    So, what to do...?

I had previously decided that the Torin blower was going to be the focal point of the cooling solution.
    It not only possesses superior airflow properties, but also has a weirdness factor that appeals to me. The blower was one of the main reasons that I laid out the mobo the way I did ( cable management being the other).
    Unfortunately however, the Torin is bulkier than I had imagined ( yes, I knew the dimensions when I bought it, but it wasn't till I physically had it in my hands that I could really appreciate it's size....), and squeezing it into the case was a problem.

Looking through my (rapidly growing) pile of parts I came upon a stock AMD HS.
    The good one, copper base, aluminum fins.
    Hmmm....
    A bit of time fabbing up a bracket for the blower ( it's waaay too big to hang off the sink itself, so this bracket mounts to the casefloor), and the combo was installed.

Wow!
    Instant results.

Only one small problem...the blower was about 1/4" outside the chassis due to the height of the heatsink.
    Well, an hour on the beltsander and some touch up filing reduced the sink to 35mm high (1 3/8") and now the combo fit within the confines of the case.
    Beautiful.
    The bracket also provided a handy place to mount a fan to actively cool the RAM.
    How convenient.

Ran Prime95 overnight ( yes...no errors&#33 and the CPU temp maxxed out at 37C ( case temp was 19C).

Decided to see if I could up my vCore and FSB some more ( a move I have previously resisted due to heat concerns), so this morning I made a few BIOS changes and am now up to 2.31GHz and temp hasn't changed...still 37C.
    Excellent!
    I am one happy camper.

Now I'm going to look around for an all copper ( preferably skivved fins) socket A heatsink that is but 35mm tall and see if it makes any difference.
    If anyone knows of such a creature I'd appreciate the info.

As you were.

*I am now sitting on three aftermarket sinks...the Zalman 700cu, the Aerocool DeepImpact HT-102 and the Thermatake SilentTower, if anyone has an interest in any/all of them, PM me.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #62
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@20 August 2004 - 09:04
    Hi kids...I'm baaaack!
    Too bad about Photobucket, eh?
    Guess I was a little too greedy trying to run my log in two different forums.
    Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Dead pics aside, progress has been slow and painful but ultimately, I have prevailed.

CPU cooling was the big issue and I was determined to make this Sprocket's coolest case (in all senses of the word).
    The Aerocool was an interesting diversion, but ultimately not suitable for this project*.
    Believe me, I tried, but in the end I was not able to provide the necessary airflow in an elegant and neatly packaged manner.
    Perhaps on a board that was set up in the normal way it would work fine, but for my upside down layout it just wasn't working out. Space was an issue and overcoming the problem would have required making some radical modifications to the case...a move I was unwilling to persue in the event it didn't pan out.
    So, what to do...?

I had previously decided that the Torin blower was going to be the focal point of the cooling solution.
    It not only possesses superior airflow properties, but also has a weirdness factor that appeals to me. The blower was one of the main reasons that I laid out the mobo the way I did ( cable management being the other).
    Unfortunately however, the Torin is bulkier than I had imagined ( yes, I knew the dimensions when I bought it, but it wasn't till I physically had it in my hands that I could really appreciate it's size....), and squeezing it into the case was a problem.

Looking through my (rapidly growing) pile of parts I came upon a stock AMD HS.
    The good one, copper base, aluminum fins.
    Hmmm....
    A bit of time fabbing up a bracket for the blower ( it's waaay too big to hang off the sink itself, so this bracket mounts to the casefloor), and the combo was installed.

Wow!
    Instant results.

Only one small problem...the blower was about 1/4" outside the chassis due to the height of the heatsink.
    Well, an hour on the beltsander and some touch up filing reduced the sink to 35mm high (1 3/8") and now the combo fit within the confines of the case.
    Beautiful.
    The bracket also provided a handy place to mount a fan to actively cool the RAM.
    How convenient.

Ran Prime95 overnight ( yes...no errors&#33 and the CPU temp maxxed out at 37C ( case temp was 19C).

Decided to see if I could up my vCore and FSB some more ( a move I have previously resisted due to heat concerns), so this morning I made a few BIOS changes and am now up to 2.31GHz and temp hasn't changed...still 37C.
    Excellent!
    I am one happy camper.

Now I'm going to look around for an all copper ( preferably skivved fins) socket A heatsink that is but 35mm tall and see if it makes any difference.

As you were.

*I am now sitting on three aftermarket sinks...the Zalman 700cu, the Aerocool DeepImpact HT-102 and the Thermatake SilentTower, if anyone has an interest in any/all of them, PM me.
    what happened to photobucket?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #63
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@20 August 2004 - 17:29
    what happened to photobucket?
    Bandwidth Exceeded.

Tried uploadit.org? Free account can have 20 pics with no bandwidth limit.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #64
    mattesca's Avatar Poster
    or this
    AMD Mobile 2400XP @ 2500Mhz 1.75Vcore = 2.5Ghz
    Abit NF7-S with SP-97 heatsink
    OCZ 2X256MB Pc3200 2-2-2-5
    Antec 400watt PSU
    120GB WD HDD
    MSI 9800XT
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Black Chieftec Matrix w/ 5BlueLED Case Fans
    800watt Sony/Bose Speaker System

5. Software & Hardware   -   #65
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I think aluminum with a copper base is better.

Photobucket still works for me. Why not setup a new account with them.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #66
    You might be right about the sink...I'd just like to try it out.
    I now have multiple accounts at both Photobucket AND Upload-It! so the hosting prob should be a thing of the past.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #67
    Can we see some photos of the progress?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #68
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@21 August 2004 - 16:14
    I think aluminum with a copper base is better.
    true......... copper is better at conducting heat, but aluminum is better at radiating it........ for that reason industrial type heatsinks are made of aluminum..... cause it can disperse heat much faster....... if you where to use water cooling (and thus conducting the heat), copper would be better, but for air cooling, you are better of using a aluminum HS with a copper inserted core......
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #69
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@21 August 2004 - 10:18
    Lookie here.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #70
    Originally posted by clocker+21 August 2004 - 11:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 21 August 2004 - 11:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@21 August 2004 - 10:18
    Lookie here. [/b][/quote]
    Nice work, clocker.

One thing that comes to mind looking at that setup. Did you considered adding small jumper wires to ground the components that are now insulated from the case?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast