Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Forgetful War Pigs Dressed As Donkeys

Originally posted by j2k4@5 August 2004 - 12:22
    I also think I was perhaps unclear as to my definition of "assimilation"; at this point, I'd settle for a recognition that English should be accepted as THE primary language by ALL immigrants, and that they abide our laws.

If they feel compelled to practice their cultural mores, who am I to complain?
    is that really j2k4? i almost thought i was reading a post by a flaming liberal, for a sec.

the term "assimilation" in the u.s. does have a way of invoking the classic image of an immigrant chopping his family tree down and throwing it out with the bathwater 'cause he so enthusiastically desires to be an unhyphenated american, though.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Listen-

Many of those who were part of the "Grand Wave" of American immigrants (by this I mean the Europeans who entered through Ellis Island) were denigrated as cultural stereotypes, and as a result subliminated their racial identities when mixing with other races or generational cohorts.

That these characteristics are currently "worn" more openly doesn't bother me in the least, but insofar as some of the "clannish" behaviors still present barriers to interracial interaction, it would be well that expectations were raised, instead of do-gooders sponsoring such nonsense as Spanish curriculum, multilingual signs everywhere you look, etc.

America grew up without having to mollycoddle her immigrants; why are we doing it now?

Perhaps it's a sidelight of the circumstance of illegal immigration; i.e., "How can we expect non-naturalized races to get along otherwise?"

As some here would say, poppycock!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    i'm honestly not challenging you on this. you stand where you stand, i stand where i stand, the twain might never meet and that's alright. i agree with you in part, i disagree in part, i'd turn out early to cast a vote for a legal compromise if it meant putting an end to the discontent. i'll accept that the assimilation of bygone days isn't necessarily the assimilation of today, but the term has also fallen far enough out of fashion that it hasn't had much chance to acquire a kinder & gentler reputation.

one side of my family tree goes back only about 4 generations thanks to the "that's it, forget the old country, i'm Joe American now" tradition, and it just plain sucks. but i can't say that i don't enjoy communicating in english, in my predominantly english-speaking country, with other people who speak english, about things that we english-speakers are mutually interested in. so i do sympathize. merely trying to add a bit of humor to a sore subject, here, though maybe not successfully. just ribbing ya. no offense intended at all toward the present company, not by any means. peace?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Why, shoooore.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345