Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reformatting Didn't Work..help!

Originally posted by peat moss@9 August 2004 - 21:56
    Bruce, your thinking of the old dos way, read my edit, it has a great guide for xp.
    that's actually the guide I used to format...except I didn't do that file settings transfer step.
    also I have those viruses quaritined in norton av corp...to remove them do I just select them and then delete permenetly?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Low level format is what you need.......write zeros to the drive. Ill fiind a link in a minute or 2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@9 August 2004 - 22:38
    Low level format is what you need.......write zeros to the drive. Ill fiind a link in a minute or 2
    low level format?? is that the same as a quick format? I run ntfs if that helps.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by peat moss+9 August 2004 - 21:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peat moss @ 9 August 2004 - 21:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chinook_apache@9 August 2004 - 13:57
    ok, you might want to check your hdd for errors because you say you have no viruses. I have no idea how to check the hdd for errors but other members will be helpful in directing to you how and what you need to check the hdd for errors.
    CHKDSK at command prompt . Sorry it&#39;s under start ,programs, accessories . [/b][/quote]
    i think this is a registry related problem...not sure though.
    heres a startup errro I get at the begining:

windows/system32/config is corrupted or file is missing.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    GWSCAN

I use this program to write zeros to my drive. This file when double clicked will extract to a 3.5 floppy (the floppy needs to be a brand spanking new one, or it wont work) when you reboot with this floppy inserted, it should load up GWSCAN, and you will see the option to write zeros to the drive. this process take appx. 1 hour for every 10gb. a 40gb drive takes roughly 3.5 hours. I hope this helps, if not let me know, and ill try to help further.

Also, I am hosting this file, so you can get it immediately.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    thanks for the suggestion...unfortunately I don&#39;t have a floppy drive. And my hd is 80gigs.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    well, just reinstall windows, and dont take the quick format option. and dont make any partitions at this stage. use partition magic later on to make partitions if you need. Wipe the whole drive and make it one 80gb drive with NO partitions

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    i&#39;ll try reformatting again...but my antivirus has 5 w32sasser.c worms quarantined. Should I worry about these? How/should I remove these before I format?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by brucelee21@10 August 2004 - 01:27
    i&#39;ll try reformatting again...but my antivirus has 5 w32sasser.c worms quarantined. Should I worry about these? How/should I remove these before I format?
    they will go away when you format

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by brucelee21@10 August 2004 - 07:27
    I don&#39;t think you fully understand what you&#39;re doing when you format.
    Formatting a hard drive completely wipes off all data on it. Every file that you see on your hard drive, be it a picture, an mp3, a movie or a word document, will be gone after you format.
    To get any files back that you wiped by mistake will require software specific to the purpose, and results are not guaranteed.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast