Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bush Kerry 2

Prodigy Girl's Avatar The Wrong Child
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Kerry needs a home run these so-called "swing voters".

I used to wonder how could there be swing voters with the differing stances of the two candidates.

Now it seems that swing voters are folks that feel virtually unaffected by the current administration and/or don't have really overwelming feelings for or against some mainstream issues.
    I know of quite a few people who say they can't really see much difference between Bush and Kerry (policy-wise). There are also some who hate Bush, but also think that putting Kerry into the White House would not be that big of an improvement (if any).

As for me, I will be voting for a third party candidate this year.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy Girl
    I know of quite a few people who say they can't really see much difference between Bush and Kerry (policy-wise). There are also some who hate Bush, but also think that putting Kerry into the White House would not be that big of an improvement (if any).

I hear a lot of that, Prodigy Girl. I think people in the United States want a lot of the same things. They are just terribly, bitterly divided over how to get there, and who to lead us there.

I hope the next debate will delve more in depth into domestic issues, goals, plans, and how they will pay for what they propose. I plan to go to both of the candidate's websites and examine closely.

One thing I am tiring of, whether it is in a forum, and I have been on a few, or an actual presidential debate. We all have different opinions, different perspectives, different takes on even a debate. But everyone should have a right to express their opinions without being ridiculed or judged personally for their opinions. It subtracts from the debate itself to be ridiculing a debater on how quickly he jumps up from a chair. I mean, get real. Is that what this election has come to? Judging a candidate's ability to be president on his facial expressions, or comparing him to a yo yo? Or a flip flop for that matter?

When I go to a forum (and this one isn't near as bad at this as a lot of other ones out there are) and see extremely bright young men and women getting slam dunked and personally ridiculed for opinions they have formed, for their views, it makes me ashamed. What are we teaching them. (don't you dare express a viewpoint that varies from mine or I will teach you to never express them again by whatever means it takes) Debating and flaming with personal putdowns are two entirely different things in my opinion.

I am having to search darn hard just to get unbiased, non ridiculing reports on the debate. I finally came up with something. A transcript of the actual debate itself.

Thank you for posting in here, Prodigy Girl. I really appreciated getting your viewpoint.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 10-10-2004 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Fixed quote Tags

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose

One thing I am tiring of, whether it is in a forum, and I have been on a few, or an actual presidential debate. We all have different opinions, different perspectives, different takes on even a debate. But everyone should have a right to express their opinions without being ridiculed or judged personally for their opinions. It subtracts from the debate itself to be ridiculing a debater on how quickly he jumps up from a chair. I mean, get real. Is that what this election has come to? Judging a candidate's ability to be president on his facial expressions, or comparing him to a yo yo? Or a flip flop for that matter?

When I go to a forum (and this one isn't near as bad at this as a lot of other ones out there are) and see extremely bright young men and women getting slam dunked and personally ridiculed for opinions they have formed, for their views, it makes me ashamed. What are we teaching them. (don't you dare express a viewpoint that varies from mine or I will teach you to never express them again by whatever means it takes) Debating and flaming with personal putdowns are two entirely different things in my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...I agree. As for my comment on Bush looking like a yo-yo...I have no regrets. One can look at it as ridicule if they so desire. I do not have to respect Bush's opinion...especially when he stands before the American people and LIES. Facial expressions and body language communicate all sorts of things. bush tends to smirk, sneer, and interrupt...that is what I saw when I watched both debates, and I watched them both more then once. this should not be mistaken for my defending Kerry. I think Kerry has also exhibited undesirable qualities.
    Judgement on a candidate's ability to hold a position of ultimate power is essential, and using whatever tools are available to help form one's opinion/judgement of said candidate is of equal importance.
    I think the bush administration has put forth to the American people the attitude of "don't you dare express a viewpoint that varies from mine or I will teach you to never express them again by whatever means it takes".
    Take a look at what has happened to people expressing opposing viewpoints, be it other gov't. officials (Sibel Edmonds) being silenced by bullshit gag orders, be it protesters who have had home visits by the FBI, no-fly lists (which even had Kennedy's name on it...oops), decorated Marine Corps General Zinni, called a traitor, etc.
    For a long time, most Democrats and liberals have tried to take the high ground by not resorting to personal attacks and mud-slinging. However, when the Right is embodied in the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Joe Scarborough, Mike Savage, and others, we end up trampled and left bloody by their vitriolic rhetoric. Regardless, the left has not been as vitriolic as the right, and I don't feel that I am expressing myself that way either.
    Bush did jump up and down like a yo-yo. I'm calling it like i see it, and I saw it for an hour and a half.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I'm not a Kerry supporter per se either, but voting for Bush is like voting for a piece of particle board instead of a monkey and.........

As for me, I will be voting for a third party candidate this year.
    ........in this election, voting for a third party candidate is like voting for chicken grease and putting the particle board in office.

Voting one's conscience is great. This time I must vote my agenda .
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Having missed the first debate, I was desperate to catch the second, but still only managed the last 35 minutes or so.
    I was interested to hear Bush's response to the potential of reinstating the draft...apparently that question is being raised all over the "internets".

Currently searching for the rest of the nets...so far I've seen but one.
    Anyone have a URL?

Humorously, the talking heads all agreed that Bush did better this second time around.
    He must have been absolutely abysmal in the first debate if what I saw was a great improvement.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    I was interested to hear Bush's response to the potential of reinstating the draft...apparently that question is being raised all over the "internets".
    I believe Bush when he says he won't bring back the draft..after all if anyone knows how to dodge it.......

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234