Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: power up a mobo with no processor

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    hello lynx,
    the reason i dont feel the mobo is the problem is because i just bought it. So i would have to assume that the processor is bad. But, before you get all uppity, you need to know what happened before...............:
    I have a pc with an AMD in it......I powered it up, it ran for about 10 minutes......i shut it down....I removed the processor, cleaned it ( i know how to clean it off) replaced it....put some artic silver on it...replaced the HS, clicked the power button........................NOTHING. took a closer look at the mobo (several capacitors are melted and/or missing). this leads one to believe the board is shot.........................so on and so forth. I wonder if the whole thing (mobo and processor took a shit at the same time) I think i just got Un-lucky, and this thing decided to take a shit at just the right time, and do the most unexpected shit all at once.
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 11-07-2004 at 11:10 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Is this mobo "you just bought" the one you got from Ebay for $26? If so, I still wouldn't assume that the processor is bad just yet.

I had a very similar problem, and I was considering the Ebay route too, but so many of them say untested, so I got one from the local computer fair for £12, guaranteed to work, no postage. Got it last Sunday afternoon, uptime 6days, 20hrs.

I think that some people know or suspect the boards are faulty and claim they are untested just to cover themselves. Think about it, if it is a one-off board that someone has, where did it come from? Probably out of a PC that's been discarded because it doesn't work. On the other hand if it is from someone who sells lots of them, they should know it only takes a few seconds to make sure the board posts.

However, you could be right, if there's that much mobo damage it could easily have blown the processor too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12