Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: schools allowing creationism

Jon L Obscene's Avatar BANNED
    What of publicly funded schools which adhere to a specific religious ethos. All children are entitled to be educated by the state. So long as the school makes it clear that they will be teaching a certain way, then it is up to the parents whether they wish to send their children to that school. If some parents decide that they wish theri children to go to a school that has no religious education, then that is up to them. Others may wish it taught. Either way it is the states responsibility to provide that education. It is a basic right, in the same way that a proper welfare state and healthcare system is.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by scroff
    If you're curious about Creation Science

The Great Flood killed the dinosaurs...

I used to go to Religious Ed for this shit
    lol

Why didnt moses save them in his ark, did he have anything against dinosaurs?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Obviously not, as he took birds with him..

Oops, thats evolution....

Seriously, the only religion that should be taught in School is the basics about every Religion, so that you dont make Gaffs like giving Pork Pies to Jews etc etc..

The Actual religious part, is not the responsibility of a Secular State, its the Responsibility of the various Religions to spread their "Word".

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    And who saved the fish, that's what I would like to know.
    Thats actually something i used to wonder...

Fresh Water Fish die in the Sea and vise versa... so when it was all one huge Ocean...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes

The Ark of the Covenant and Noah's Ark were slightly different things.

I can't see quite how this would work. There is some (very) spurious science associated with certain brands of Creationism but nothing that bears much scrutiny. This is not a subject that belongs in a science lab - it should be in RE or, for older children, Comparative Religion. Unless, of course, it is a religious school, in which case they can teach that the World is carried on four elephants who are standing on the giant space turtle A'tuin (if they want to. )
    Last edited by Biggles; 11-07-2004 at 06:05 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L Obscene
    What of publicly funded schools which adhere to a specific religious ethos. All children are entitled to be educated by the state. So long as the school makes it clear that they will be teaching a certain way, then it is up to the parents whether they wish to send their children to that school. If some parents decide that they wish theri children to go to a school that has no religious education, then that is up to them. Others may wish it taught. Either way it is the states responsibility to provide that education. It is a basic right, in the same way that a proper welfare state and healthcare system is.
    all children are educated by the state as a right, the question is what should be taught ?

We are talking the USA not uk.

The religious side ( a generalisation) wishes that not one tax cent they contribute goes to things they disagree with because of their religious beliefs...such as stem cell research or abortion. Well if they want that then they have to accept that not one tax cent should go to promoting their beliefs..... of course this isn't the case.

State and religion are supposed to be seperated so that neither can interfere with the other. seems to me that the religious want to interfere with the state but don't want the state to interfere with them

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    And who saved the fish, that's what I would like to know.
    I would have thought that the fish would not have too much trouble with a lot of water. Anyway there are various fish that can live in both fresh and salt water like the Salmon and Sea Trout to name half a dozen. Well there was half a dozen in the fishmongers window on Saturday morning.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Perhaps in the US, but not in the UK. Which I believe the original post you quoted was referring to.
    Oh absolutely the Uk has it right... certainly in politics.....

i was talking about the USA in my post but i believe jon is British..i could be wrong...it was the welfare and healthcare comments that made me think this.
    Many Americans think diferently than europeans when it comes to such issues. Personally i can't for the life of me think what is so bad about everyone having healthcare as a right even if they can't afford it...but for some reason i can't see it happening here.
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-07-2004 at 06:31 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    The world isn't flat?

Whilst I have no problem in schools teaching RE (and I believe Creationism is part of that) I do have a problem with limited science lab time taken up teaching duff science. Where would it end, there are a lot of really rather bizarre theories out there. I would be equally unhappy with biology classes spending time on Von Daniken's theories of Man's appearance on the planet.

JP, I made no comment regarding the funding of religious schools (or was that someone else?) I am perfectly content for school places to be provided for all. If enough individuals want a specific kind of school then there is no reason why there should not be Islamic, Catholic or Hindu schools as well as secular ones. Although clearly there would be logistical problems if a particular religion only had 3 adherents and one of those was a fish..
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Jon L Obscene's Avatar BANNED
    Indeed, Church and State are not seperate in the UK. So to say that they must be seperate in schools doesn't make any sense. Let parents have a choice, if they want religious education fine, if not fine. Plenty of schools will allow children a "study period" during the religious education class. That way parents and children can decide on their own education. Don't just say, no ban it, or no you must have it. That seems the fairest way.

I assume when you say "supposed to be" you mean in the USA. That is the USAs choice to make, loads of others feel differently.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast