Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: Saving Private Ryan

Sanctuary!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    I am trying to change, not just people's minds, but how they express themselves, to maximize the effect of their messages.

I will state my opinions in order that they be subject to the perspectives of others. If I am enlightened, I will modify my thoughts.

I am after agenda-less discussion, not politcal propaganda.

I express my views, but I don't presume that they are always correct.

The board is yours.....................
    If you are looking for agenda-less discussion, not political propaganda, then I suggest you address the posts you feel are propaganda with what you might concieve as a rational argument rather than simply dismiss them as such. If you're trying to change how I express my views, calling my opinions propaganda and my method of expressing them sickening will have little effect.

Rather than dismiss me as a propagandist, you might take some time to either investigate what I say or dispute it, with facts, cited, not your opinion. Rather than take single posts and judge them unworthy, you might try seeing the overall message. While I have a bias, it is because I need to be convinced before I change my opinion. Someone else's opinion will rarely sway mine... I have an opinion, I don't need yours. If you present me with a fact based argument, I can be swayed. An example is Social Security reform. I was against it until presented with the facts from the Cato Institute. While I remain sceptical, I am more receptive to it.

If you choose to be abbrasive, let me assure you I give as good as I get.

I considered sending this as a PM, so as not to subject the board to a long post specifically directed to you, but as you have taken liberties expressing your opinions of my beliefs and opinions, I thought I'd do the same.
    Ancient Bush family proverb; Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... drown him in the lake and he'll never be hungry again.

Any Which Way.... because there's more to it than Fox tells you.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #132
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    If you had any insight, you might choose a different story.

You and Ruthie and your sickening political agenda have turned this neutral person, and voter for Kerry, completely against you.
    hey hobbes, you're the kind of person that'll eat shit if the gov't or your beloved FCC told you to. this is the most extreme case of censorship, and i agree whole heartedly, this is an insult to our veterans that gave up their lives without even thinking about it from WW1 to today.

edit: i know you're entitled to your opinion (hobbes), as am i.
    Last edited by cpt_azad; 11-12-2004 at 07:54 AM.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #133
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    The BBC has, on rare occassions, pulled movies because of events in the world and that it would be insensitive to show them. I see no real problem with this as they usually tell the viewers that the film will be shown sometime in the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #134
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    This thread has devolved so far that if anyone wants to talk about the FCC's actions, they'll have to start a new one.

Keep the personal sniping to a minimum, please.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #135
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose

I disagree. For one instance, all of your ridicule for people that believe in God, or as you call them, the moral majority. How will this ridicule help? It didn't help in the election, believe me. A lot of people believe in God in the US. Have you given a thought to try to reach these people by telling them that they can be moral, such as using a frozen embroyo to save the life of a nine year old child with diabetes? No, you attack them and call them all ignorant, attack their president, who believes in God. How do you think you can change people to your viewpoint? You have already expressed your hate for the people who voted for Bush, without considering they could be really intelligent people that based this viewpoint on their concerns about the type of President Kerry would make. I feel this same way about the far right conservatives that have damaged their party more than they want to admit.

Having met ruthie and scroff..

I have to say they are actually two of the nicest and most caring people i have ever met, with far more than their fair share of compassion. To say they are hateful because they want people to think for themselves, rather than let institutions tell them what to do seems rather facetious.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #136
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    hey hobbes, you're the kind of person that'll eat shit if the gov't or your beloved FCC told you to. this is the most extreme case of censorship, and i agree whole heartedly, this is an insult to our veterans that gave up their lives without even thinking about it from WW1 to today.

edit: i know you're entitled to your opinion (hobbes), as am i.
    No, Hobbes isnt the type that will.

Hobbes has his own opinions, and does not rely on others to form them for him.

I certainly respect his views and opinion because of this, even on those occasions when we are not on the same side of an argument.

Now lets keep the personal crap out of this please.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #137
    Re-Opened, as i believe Hobbes has a right to reply to the accusation...

8. The Drawing Room   -   #138
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    on subject i believe the reason it was chosen to not show it by some channels was because of the foul language that wasn't allowed to be edited out and thus fears of FCC fines.... nothing to do with violence
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-12-2004 at 02:25 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #139
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    You know ,I would let my little ones watch it. War is Hell ,its not pretty .We coudle our children and hide the truth from them. Their smarter than we give credit. As much as I love mine, the world can be an ugly place, I for one hope I prepaire them well!

Edit: This coming from a half Scottish and German household. Don't you think I had a few questions to answer . I watch a movie like Stalg 17 and have to explain to a 7 year old why not all Germans are bad.
    Last edited by peat moss; 11-13-2004 at 10:54 PM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314