Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debate : Debating

Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    How the hell could this possibly be a good idea? If one has no conviction in a subject, then how can they defend their debates? Wouldn't it be rather boring to have an emotionless debate in which no one believed what they were debating?
    ARGH!! someone else agreeing with me

ok deep breaths, not good not good, they just trying to spin you out, stay calm, breath deep......Ahhhhhh

Right, I think ......I'll wait til I've figured out what I'm doing before posting any more

Jonno

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    How?
    If one has no opinion invested in the side they are debating, or for that matter, believe the opposite to what they are debating to be true, aren't they more likely to give up the argument much more easily, or perhaps give less informed responses?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    ARGH!! someone else agreeing with me

ok deep breaths, not good not good, they just trying to spin you out, stay calm, breath deep......Ahhhhhh

Right, I think ......I'll wait til I've figured out what I'm doing before posting any more

Jonno
    I wasn't so much agreeing with you as I was defending the position I was told to defend.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Yeah but thats the 5th time it's happend today, people agreeing with what I say :crying: I'm scared

Ok could someone remind me which side I'm on, having read my posts so far I seem to have argued both sides

Jonno

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Oh I think it's a wonderful idea, the brain power and debating techniques of people entered into these discussions is remarkable.
    To see minds of "Lay people" clash and colide with such forced and to fight with so much passion in the heat of a roaring debate is a wonder of the intenet world.

These simple exercises we are doing now is simply training for the real thing.
    If a boxer does'nt train he will not win.

If a debater does not train he will not be able to hold his point of view.

Jonno

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    And how does one hold a point of view that is not his own? Will he not be wandering aimlessly looking for responses, floundering to find the appropriate one, while being torn and wanting to post his own opinion?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    If one has no opinion invested in the side they are debating, or for that matter, believe the opposite to what they are debating to be true, aren't they more likely to give up the argument much more easily, or perhaps give less informed responses?
    Fair enough, you win.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    And how does one hold a point of view that is not his own? Will he not be wandering aimlessly looking for responses, floundering to find the appropriate one, while being torn and wanting to post his own opinion?
    Because it hardens the mind to be able to hold his line of arguing while all around will try to trick him.
    To say this thread is pointless is to say exercise is pointless.

It's no good charging into a thread like a wild heard of Elephants is no good and will ultimately leave the debater at a loss when it comes to the real thing.

Fair enough, but why not just do it with points you agree with. At least then you may have some knowledge to support the position you are defending. Rather than just doing it for the sake of it, which only misleads those who read your posts.
    You gave me the task of arguing the good of this debate. With that comes points I do not agree with but will defend them.
    It's part of the process in the training to become a Jedebater

Jonno

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    Because it hardens the mind to be able to hold his line of arguing while all around will try to trick him.
    To say this thread is pointless is to say exercise is pointless.

It's no good charging into a thread like a wild heard of Elephants is no good and will ultimately leave the debater at a loss when it comes to the real thing.
    There will be those around that will try to trick someone, regardless of the stance one takes. Wouldn't one be better prepared to hold their ground if one were arguing one's own thoughts?

Isn't it an exercise for the mind to debate one's own views as well?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Yes that is true, but in for example: football, you train against your team mates.
    In this instance you are training against your own mind as well as others.
    Therefore giving you a more intense training programme and hightening your senses to sidewinder attacks as it were, false statements and attempts to lead you off your point. In essesnce hardening your shield allowing a more confident flow of debating when it comes to the real thing.

And you said "One's" too many times, you sound like the Queen ffs

Jonno

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast