View Poll Results: should the USA allow nuclear inspectors

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes so it can't be accused of double standards when it insists other countries are inspected

15 65.22%
  • yes because it has nothing to hide

0 0%
  • no it's nobody elses concern

0 0%
  • no they are the most powerful nation on earth and as such don't have to answer to anyone

1 4.35%
  • no because US security overides eveyone elses

0 0%
  • no because the USA isn't a threat to anyone

2 8.70%
  • yes because the USA is dangerous if unchecked

5 21.74%
  • no because it has nothing to hide

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: should the USA allow nuclear inspections?

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    No, that would stupid. It would give away military secrets. Next question.
    but it's right that others should have to give theirs away? and the fact that we insist they do while we won't will not cause resentment and will make for a more peaceful and friendly world or even attitude to the US and it's allies ?

your answer could be ....no it's nobody elses concern

you "seem" offended that the subject matter was even raised
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-24-2004 at 02:48 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    but it's right that others should have to give theirs away? and the fact that we insist they do while we won't will not cause resentment and will make for a more peaceful and friendly world or even attitude to the US and it's allies ?

your answer could be ....no it's nobody elses concern

you "seem" offended that the subject matter was even raised

I think "inspections" are not about fairness. They are about countries with power wanting to keep it and checking in on those lesser countries that are worrying them.

To suggest that this is some sort of "right thing to do" situation is quite a naive appraoch to me.

So I said "No, we shouldn't, that would be daft". We would just be giving away important military knowledge that could otherwise be airtight. No country does that voluntarily. Their willness to share is based directly on their military power and the ability of other countries to cripple them with politcal pressures.

I think my first post says it all.

I'm going to vote #11: spinal tap- just to get this over with.
    Last edited by hobbes; 11-24-2004 at 03:34 AM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Are UK plants inspected?

India?

Pakistan?

China?
    Can anyone answer this?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Can anyone answer this?
    We'll show you ours if you show us yours.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Strangelove's Avatar I Need Sex
    IAEA does inspect UK Nuclear Plants, although they cannot inspect Military Nuclear Facilities.

France, Pakistan, India and China also allow the inspections... in fact France has requested (as part of the EU) inspections of Sellafield (UK) and one of its own plants recently, as part of an EU Nuclear safety drive..

I think thats all the poll is asking for, as the US will not even allow this...

Pakistan is also quite open that it will give Nuclear Technology to anyone that has the cash.... but they are "Friendly" to the US "War on Terror", and so do not get any crap thrown their way.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    ]Can anyone answer this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangelove
    IAEA does inspect UK Nuclear Plants, although they cannot inspect Military Nuclear Facilities.

France, Pakistan, India and China also allow the inspections... in fact France has requested (as part of the EU) inspections of Sellafield (UK) and one of its own plants recently, as part of an EU Nuclear safety drive..

Pakistan is also quite open that it will give Nuclear Technology to anyone that has the cash.... but they are "Friendly" to the US "War on Terror", and so do not get any crap thrown their way.

There you go. yes they do

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

Sources please. Thanks.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Sources please. Thanks.
    Additional Protocols extend IAEA safeguards.
    On 30 April, the Additional Protocol to the safeguards agreements with 15 European Union countries entered into force. The countries were Britain, France and the 13 non-nuclear-weapon states of the EU - all had signed the Protocols in 1998. Seven of the ten countries joining the EU on 1 May already have Additional Protocols in force. This brings to 56 (+ Taiwan) the total of countries adopting it, and giving the IAEA inspection teams enhanced access to counter nuclear proliferation. There are 71 countries with significant nuclear activities, and 25 of these have yet to bring into force the Additional Protocol, though many are in process.
    IAEA 30/4/04, ASNO.
    Source

Anything else we can do for you?

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Here's the IAEA's site, quite interesting read.

http://www.iaea.org/index.html
    Last edited by Withcheese; 11-24-2004 at 01:13 PM.

10. Lounge   -   #30

If they cannot inspect nuclear facilities than the entire concept of inspections is pointless.

If their inspections are not to document who has what where, but to lend tips on safety, I see their role as trivial in the US. Only countries developing nuclear facilities need this type of direction, we have had nuclear facilities for a long time.

I guess my honest question is:

What is the scope of these inspections and what is their purpose?

And the intial post indicated that the US was the only country to not allow inspections, which is not true, and thus the poll has been opened under a false premise.
    Last edited by hobbes; 11-24-2004 at 02:09 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast