Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ok I'm curious

Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    I love VB.

Yogi

2. Lounge   -   #32
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    You been about forums long enough, you know when it's busy and when it's not.

The original question was why don't you like it, is that why? because you think the Admin are doing something wrong?

Jonno
    Yes, I know when it's busy and when it's not. When I first joined, 2 years ago, there were only a few thousand members, and it was close to Christmas, and it was busy. It was busy for pretty much the entire first year I was here, even with the server downtimes, speed issues we had, takeover attempts, and host changes. It started to slow down after we stopped developing versions of k-lite, and became filesharing talk instead of the k-lite board. The influx of new members traditionally came from that program with questions about it or people looking to download it. New versions were being developed without this site link on the start page, so we haven't the new traffic coming in that we did before.

Add to that that there were way too many forums here for a long time (still are to some extent), and new members didn't know where to post their questions. And new members viewing the board would look at all those forums, and see how slowly they were moving and figure that maybe they'd try to find a busier forum to find their answers more quickly. Or they'd post their question, and get a flaming response calling them a stupid n00b or something like it and decide to just forget it. The older established members, finding no questions to answer, and less activity, inevitably start moving on to busier forums.

That's why it's not as busy as it used to be. It has nothing to do with the time of year.

As for the board, no, I don't like the new software. It has a very unpolished look and feel to it - amateurish if you will. It looks out of date, boring, flat, and drab in comparison to the old IPB forum. I don't like having to cancel automatic message tracking every time I send a message, nor do I like that I have to untick the box so as not to save the message I'm sending. I cannot login invisible (not that I do, but would like the option), the user groups and rights have obviously not been fixed properly. I don't like the layout, when viewing a forum, with the poster's name directly below the thread title, if you click the thread title and are slightly off, you end up with a new window with the member's profile. I thank god that the IPB smilies have been transferred over, as the VB counterparts are hideous at best. Those are just a few things I can think of, offhand.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    Yes, I know when it's busy and when it's not. When I first joined, 2 years ago, there were only a few thousand members, and it was close to Christmas, and it was busy. It was busy for pretty much the entire first year I was here, even with the server downtimes, speed issues we had, takeover attempts, and host changes. It started to slow down after we stopped developing versions of k-lite, and became filesharing talk instead of the k-lite board. The influx of new members traditionally came from that program with questions about it or people looking to download it. New versions were being developed without this site link on the start page, so we haven't the new traffic coming in that we did before.

Add to that that there were way too many forums here for a long time (still are to some extent), and new members didn't know where to post their questions. And new members viewing the board would look at all those forums, and see how slowly they were moving and figure that maybe they'd try to find a busier forum to find their answers more quickly. Or they'd post their question, and get a flaming response calling them a stupid n00b or something like it and decide to just forget it. The older established members, finding no questions to answer, and less activity, inevitably start moving on to busier forums.

That's why it's not as busy as it used to be. It has nothing to do with the time of year.

As for the board, no, I don't like the new software. It has a very unpolished look and feel to it - amateurish if you will. It looks out of date, boring, flat, and drab in comparison to the old IPB forum. I don't like having to cancel automatic message tracking every time I send a message, nor do I like that I have to untick the box so as not to save the message I'm sending. I cannot login invisible (not that I do, but would like the option), the user groups and rights have obviously not been fixed properly. I don't like the layout, when viewing a forum, with the poster's name directly below the thread title, if you click the thread title and are slightly off, you end up with a new window with the member's profile. I thank god that the IPB smilies have been transferred over, as the VB counterparts are hideous at best. Those are just a few things I can think of, offhand.
    damn tell it like it is nikki

4. Lounge   -   #34
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Nice post, Nikki.

It seems a shame that altho' the common feeling among members is to go back to IPB if possible, the mods that share this opinion - and are quite vehement about it in some cases - are now Forum Stars.

[B][O][T], NikkiD and Rip The Jacker Spring to mind, VB1234 I'm not sure of and Jetje has never passed a comment on the matter that I'm aware of.

Maybe this is not such a coincidence but however it is looked at, I think we're stuck with VB.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I don't think anyone that matters gives a shit really

By matters I mean can change us back or soup this up
    Last edited by DanB; 12-01-2004 at 05:29 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    Do you think there will be more freezing of accounts?

conspiracy.
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

7. Lounge   -   #37
    I hope not. They did start again after 2.10 though

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4

Does that mean you owe me a Mars bar?
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmiss

Does that mean you owe me a Mars bar?
    Possibly, although I might need my memory refreshing as to why

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Im a rebel.

I go with the flow, sort of.

I dont really really mind if we stay on VB or go back to teh old stuff.

Its just dont seem so important to me, the board software, as for a lot of folks it seems.

I wouldnt mind a dark skin, whatever the software version we're on.

Spoiler: Show

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234