Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Xp Vs. Win98

RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    I'm still running 98SE, but don't seem to have the BSOD problems everyone else seems to have. I have my pc running constantly, and only average once a month. I have been toying with the idea od going to XP, I have used it on others machines, I'm just a little concerned with the driver problems I'm sure to have. I'm already sure that my favorite music burning program (Iomega) won't work on xp. Duel boot seems to be the way for me to go, but I really don't have any true gripes about XP

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by RPerry@29 March 2003 - 20:20
    I'm still running 98SE, but don't seem to have the BSOD problems everyone else seems to have. I have my pc running constantly, and only average once a month. I have been toying with the idea od going to XP, I have used it on others machines, I'm just a little concerned with the driver problems I'm sure to have. I'm already sure that my favorite music burning program (Iomega) won't work on xp. Duel boot seems to be the way for me to go, but I really don't have any true gripes about XP
    scan your computer to see the hardware issues, then you will really know the driver problems...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by ClubDiggler@29 March 2003 - 20:19
    I have win 98 and it runs pretty good now!

I've had problems with all the stuff I put in it before; but after a lot
    of trweaking I finally got it running very smooth so I don't think of
    upgrading. No way Jose!!! B)
    you will have to update sooner or later because most programs/hardware will be made to work on the newer operating systems. i dont know if you know this but office 2003 will only run on XP and 2000 SP3...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by Los@29 March 2003 - 20:18
    just wondering if you scanned your computer yet to find out the compatibility issues??? if you have and no real big problems then i dont know what you're waiting for!!

-Los
    Yes, I ran that a while ago and it found several hardware issues that "might need additional files in order to work with Windows XP". The problems are my Dazzle Video Capture device, Gravis gamepad, Plustek scanner, Zio smartmedia reader, and HP printer. There may be a few minor software issues as well. I'm sure I can get most if not all of those things to work, but the question remains - is it all worth it? What about all the supposed bugs? And what about old DOS games? I'm sure I'll never play DOOM again, but I just like having it installed and working in case I ever need a dose of nostalgia.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    i dont know what to tell you about the nostalgia to old games like doom, but i guess you'll learn to deal.

what i can tell you is that every system has its bugs including WIN 98! wether 98 gives YOU problems or not it gives other people! why? because of bugs! some affect you and some dont! i've had win xp and no problems at all! but you saw that other people said they have had problems! ms has already released 1 service pack and number 2 is on its way... right now its on its beta phase so a couple more months and its out. but thats it thats all i can say...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    I was running Win ME. It would crash about 2-3 times a night. I have just recently upgraded to a for educational-purposes only copy of XP Corp. I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use Win ME again. XP is rock solid and hasn't crashed on me yet, and I only did an upgrade install. I will be doing a clean install soon now that I have created a bootable for educational-purposes only XP copy. The Windows NT platform is unbelievably stable.............. the more you play with XP,........ the more you will be convinced. You might as well jump aboard !!!!!!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Yes im using XP Pro corp too. That is the way to go.

Windows ME is horrible, nothing but complaints about it if u dont like XP get win2k thats second best i think.

Win2k is very stable and works well. Never had any problems with it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    i have both Win XP and Win 2000. I love both no problems with either...both very stable for me. However when using Win 2000 i miss the XP interface which i love!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12