Thread: samsung sh-w08a is knackered

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I recently updated the firmware for this drive only to be left without the ability to write properly to dvd -r discs. for some odd reason they never finalize properly so windows cannot recognise them. i was able to write to these disc before i updated the firmware.

i have tried nero/ disc juggler and k3b under linux and they all screw up when writing to a dvd -r disc.

i tried to revert back to the old firmware which samsung kindly sent me but im still having this problem. could anything else other then the firmware be causing this under both win xp and suse ? or any suggestions on what i can try next short of taking the drive back.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Samsung have screwed up in this area before now (in cd-r/dvd combo drives), and on some of their early examples they never did solve the problem. It seemed to be related to playing a region encoded disc, after which it would not record properly, but I can't swear that was the root of the problem.

If their track record is anything to go by, don't expect a solution anytime soon.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    yeah i have been reading into this and people have complained about this problem after playing shrek 2. i think mine might have started after playing another region encoded disc.

im just gonna return the drive if i dont get any real help from samsung soon.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    hmmm... took a look around seems your not the only one with this issue.You seem like you did your homework before posting here .Saw a posting of yours on another site.I think the words dump it and run come to mind.Get yourself an NEC 3500(i here good things about this drive) or pioneer 108(i think)..I've got a liteon..Theres lots of support but it needs it...Forever trying to improve burn quality...Do some research on the nec 3500