Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guest permissions

manker's Avatar effendi
    Two oddities:

The first is that the Poll section is not visible to guests. It's not like many people are going to be enticed to join up because of the awesome topics contained within but I thought I'd mention it because I don't think it's intentional.

Also When a guest clicks on the verified section he sees the message that there have been no posts in the verifieds in the last 100 days.

This is clearly undesirable as it would put people off joining. I think it should be fixed as soon as possible and replaced with a big red

'forbidden to non-members'

notice.

This issue has probably discouraged several people from joining already. Please could it be fixed. Thanks.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    Retired
    I will check if I can change the message for the verified section.

about the poll section, I disabled it for guests because they can't vote, so I tought they dont need it....

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    I will check if I can change the message for the verified section.
    Marvellous, thanks IKE

Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    about the poll section, I disabled it for guests because they can't vote, so I tought they dont need it....
    hyeah:

I didn't look at it that way, but I guess it makes sense
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    @Manker..... Good job the poll section is closed cos having read thru it, it's just another lounge with polls

And maybe that message would be better if it simply said "Please Log in /Register as oposed to your idea which might as well say "You ain't a member so fuck off"

Just my opinion of course

Jonno

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    Retired
    Changed the welcome message:

from ->

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

to ->

Welcome to the FileSharing Talk.
    If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Board Rules. You have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Some sections are not visible for guests, you need to register before you can view those sections.

If I need to add/remove something just let me know
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 12-07-2004 at 12:30 PM.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    Do we even need to let guests see sections if they can't view the contents? If we make them invisible (like Team areas are to regular members) they won't be offended by messages or leave thinking there's no action.

And if you make the bit about hidden sections more noticeable (in bold, or maybe in red) it may intrigue them and get them to join.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #17
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I think lynx has got it about right, the hidden sections being in red would intruige people to register -- what you've done so far is good also, IKE, I reckon

Jonno, your opinion about forum management will become more valid to me and others when your own forum doesn't resemble a deserted train wreck. K.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #18
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Jonno, your opinion about forum management will become more valid to me and others when your own forum doesn't resemble a deserted train wreck. K.
    Don't see why that was neccesary, insults are the lowest for of wit.
    I did'nt insult you, why insult me.

And you wonder why people leave or don't join up.

Jonno

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #19
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    Don't see why that was neccesary, insults are the lowest for of wit.
    I did'nt insult you, why insult me.

And you wonder why people leave or don't join up.
    Yeah, I insulted your capacity for running a forum that attracts members because your own forum does not yet you saw fit to contradict me - it was pertinent to the discussion.

My wit is average but thanks for the concern

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #20
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Do we even need to let guests see sections if they can't view the contents? If we make them invisible (like Team areas are to regular members) they won't be offended by messages or leave thinking there's no action.

And if you make the bit about hidden sections more noticeable (in bold, or maybe in red) it may intrigue them and get them to join.
    already done. verified sections are now hidden.

edit: changed color
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 12-07-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast