• No

12 26.67%
  • There are other methods to make them understand that they sis wrong

14 31.11%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Children be Hit as a form of Punishment

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthInsinuate
    i'm sure there's better methods of punishing a child, but if i was a parent it would probably be my method of choice, since it was how i was raised, and it seems to have worked out fine

my dad used a bamboo cane to hit me, but never on the head or torso - i would definately draw the line of 'hitting' at anything more than a red mark

as for the resentment to authority, as 15% put it, i think i've always been stubborn, which is what got me hit in the first place
    That's barbaric.

Rise above that. A 'clip around the ear' or a 'tap on the bum' is all you need to do if you can communicate well with your child. Kids are difficult, I suppose, but not so difficult as you need weapons to keep them in line.

Says manker, the dad of an 8 month old - I shouldn't be commenting, really

There are folk here who know more about this than me, which is why I've not said a lot up until now. It's just that I couldn't imagine doing that to my son.

You seem like a nice bloke and I reckon you'll feel the same when you're faced with your own child to discipline.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthInsinuate
    my dad used a bamboo cane to hit me, but never on the head or torso - i would definately draw the line of 'hitting' at anything more than a red mark
    I once had it break on my arse

3. Lounge   -   #23
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    That's barbaric.

Rise above that. A 'clip around the ear' or a 'tap on the bum' is all you need to do if you can communicate well with your child. Kids are difficult, I suppose, but not so difficult as you need weapons to keep them in line.

Says manker, the dad of an 8 month old - I shouldn't be commenting, really

There are folk here who know more about this than me, which is why I've not said a lot up until now. It's just that I couldn't imagine doing that to my son.

You seem like a nice bloke and I reckon you'll feel the same when you're faced with your own child to discipline.
    I can see from your point of view how it is barbaric, but it was the way i was raised, and i don't know any other method - imagining hitting my future son is a pretty painful thought, but then i think of what would happen if i can't get him to behave, an equally painful thought

Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    I once had it break on my arse
    as Jackie Chan said in Rush Hour 2: "Chinese bamboo, is very strong"
    Last edited by DarthInsinuate; 12-07-2004 at 11:57 PM.
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

4. Lounge   -   #24
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I don't like that type of punishment and would never use it on kids.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    In a few extreme cases, yes. But for the most part, no.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    natedogg's Avatar R.I.P. Nate Dogg :(
    no but if they hit me first than yes

7. Lounge   -   #27
    VIP...just ask any
    Children, like any other intelligent animal on this planet learn by example "hitting someone gets you your way" even if you think it's for their own good, "you got your way, using physical contact".
    The only thing that gets us by, as infants, is our ability to read body language, Think about it...there isn't any other form of communication but body launguage...
    Take some time and read some material on body language, you would be surprised at what you can accomplish using it...even as adults we respond unconsciously to several forms of body launguage....you can manipulate the strongest willed person using the right approach.

It's funny how many ppl won't hit a little puppy, but they will smack their child. if you take a newspaper and smack your hand next to the puppies face and use a stern voice, that will always do the job.

btw... I had to smack my child 5 times on the bare butt at age 4. He brought home a toy from daycare that wasn't his, I gave him the option...5 smacks on the bare butt or I take one of his best toys.... jeez that was the hardest thing I have ever done..."he decided to take the smacks on the butt, dropped his little pants and crawled up on my lap"

haven't had to punish him ever since...

My father would tell me, when I screwed up, "tomorrow night, when I get home, you are going to be punished" that alone was enough usually..the waiting all day, and the next for his punishment

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterook-2
    btw... I had to smack my child 5 times on the bare butt at age 4. He brought home a toy from daycare that wasn't his, I gave him the option...5 smacks on the bare butt or I take one of his best toys.... jeez that was the hardest thing I have ever done..."he decided to take the smacks on the butt, dropped his little pants and crawled up on my lap"
    Knowing me, I'd have taken the toys away only.

Ironic.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Lounge   -   #29
    No and thats that. just take there sweets away and toys

Hit a kid no hit a adult no both are wrong.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    VIP...just ask any
    thing is, he's now 14 yrs old and believe it or not, that was the only time I've ever had to punish him. I couldn't have scripted a better child. 9th grade accelerated Math, English, with straight A's in all his classes. I've had to pay $50 bucks every time the report cards come out too lol (made a deal for $50 all A's). Ok, i'm finished, but concidering my background as a child/young adult hellion, I'm pretty pround of that boy!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast