Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out Of Memory?

Originally posted by Soul814@31 March 2003 - 00:23
    msconfig only works on xp... i tried it w/ other os...
    erm... i have used msconfig on win98se to remove a startup prog... worked for me.

i have the same prob... running win 98se, 768mb pc133 sdram, frequently get a message about low system memory... any ideas how to fix it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    I did have 98 and it worked on that, now i have 98se and it works on that too

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    wait do u have 2 os? since my msconfig doesnt run... i should do a search n locate it...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    wait scratch that

it doesnt work on 2000 -- lol

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I think you may be confusing your readings. Usually your computer will tell you how much free space you have left on your harddrive, not how much memory you have free at any given moment. You can get several different memory boosters at Downloads.com and theyall will tell you the current status of your memory. Just be careful how you configure them, you don't need to optimize and scrub your memory all that often and you don't need to set the recovery level all that high...(RTFM)
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    not really... when your ram is low it tell you too... i was running alot of applications and it displayed an error...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    64 MB of ram isn't that much. You should look into getting more if you can. Also, you could try setting your own Virtual Memory settings. Go to Control Panel - System, click on the 'Performance' tab and click on the 'Virtual Memory' button. Click on the circle that says "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings". Assuming you have enough free hard drive space, you should enter about 160 into both the Minimum and Maximum boxes. Click 'OK', then click on the 'File System' button. Where it says "Typical Role of this Computer", select "Network Server". Click 'OK' twice and restart. This should improve your performance by making more memory available, but as others have said you should also try to prevent any unnecessary apps from loading at startup.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    lol my own personal computer has 32mb... ur point... lolz p1 respect it! win 98... w00t... it runs decently... no internet so im saved... running norton antivirus just kills it tho

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by Soul814@30 March 2003 - 19:33
    lol my own personal computer has 32mb...
    You mean the one you're trading in for a new one? Maybe that has something to do with it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    yes that one... well im not trading... im giving my old one to my father...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast