Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lan party (how?)

Hmm sounds good, thanks for all the help. I'll try and hunt down all the stuff soon, so if theres any little things, i'll have time to ask

-------------------------

Ok so i think ive got this.... first get the router or switch or whatever, then connect all the computers to it. Whats the "rj45 cable" used for though?
    Last edited by opivykid; 12-17-2004 at 03:15 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    for the connection, go buy CAT-5 Cable.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    according to this month's pcgamer uk.

do's:
    install the games on all pcs before the party

burn a pre party cd with patches and mods and stuff on, pass it round before the party

stock up on fizzy drinks, tea and coffee (caffiene, and lots of it)

ensure your guests bring fold away seating and stuff like that

host the games on the fastest pc in the house

make sure weapons are set to "stay even after picked up" in fps games

this is my favourite coming from the best selling pc gaming magazine in britain: get no-cd cracks for all the games you're ging to play. check out megagames.com for an exhaustive listing.

get your network cables from ebuyer not a chain store, you'll get ripped off.

donts:
    let guests turn up with unlabeled equiptment. in the post-party packing stuff can go astray

invite more players than you have space for. pcs and people take up more space than you'd think

use a wireless network. it's too slow for gaming and prone to interferance. stick to cables

dont bother sourcing a pc dedicated to hosting unless theres more than eight of you.

dont waste time cooking for your guests. the fast food industry is a significant employer and deserves your support (get pizza )

now this is the games they reccomend.

unreal tournament 2004
    neverwinter nights
    jdoom
    warcraft 3
    sven co-op (half-life mod, i think)

they also say try to stick with team games cos its not nice to be the guy who gets pwned all the time. in my experience a few hours against mates is really exhausting and you probably wont feel like playing through the night.

i would have scanned it but i dont know if its set up, i'm in bed and that was all something to do at 7:30am

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Waht about Counter Strike 1.6/Source :| , anyways yeah UT2004 would be a fun multiplayer game :/

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i wish developers would put code in so many people could share one line, for clan parties and stuff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12