Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FileSharing section.

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Well if you're saying that, there aren't that many SoulSeek queries a month either.

Is it possible to make SoulSeek & WinMX as one?

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai
    Well if you're saying that, there aren't that many SoulSeek queries a month either.

Is it possible to make SoulSeek & WinMX as one?
    That's not a bad idea.

I see your point about the SoulSeek forum. The change might do it some good.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I like compromising. Just don't like being in compromising situations

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    Because the filesharing section seems 2 be more and more active, I thought it was better to make a forum for it.
    This site was originally created to talk about filesharing, so why not show this section on the main page?

There are currently 4 sub section:
    -BitTorrent
    -eDonkey & eMule
    -Kazaa Lite
    -SoulSeek

maybe 1 or more section will be added in the future. (maybe a newsgroups section for example)
    Great idea and good for Google also perhaps. As for News Groups I have been going back and forth with rookie on the idea and it seems some of the Team are worried about if it would be legit. I have already suggested there could be no forum uploads in that section and perhaps even make a no linking nzb files rule since that might be considered touchy for now. Ive already suggested a starting point for a layout...
    News Groups (Main Catagory)
    Guides And Tutorials (Perhaps Pinned In Main Section, Not a Sub)
    (Different Readers and Usenet Servers Information Also Pinned)

(Sub Catagory)
    Request
    Spots & Posts
    Intent To Post (Should Have Poll Ability)
    There would be NO Files, NO links, not even hashes ffs, just text. Its seems rookie is game for the idea but the Team is consirned to which Ive asked to give me a reason why not or what the actual concern is as long as its an educated one on the issue...
    Last edited by RealitY; 12-17-2004 at 11:11 PM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    Retired
    newsgroup posting isnt illegal, dunno how legal NZB files are. I think they are the same as torrents.

Brian mentioned a bittorrent tracker we replied that we think a tracker isnt smart atm.

Such a newsgroup section will need people that will upload stuff to newsgroups if not the whole idea is useless. also the retention can become a problem because almost everyone dont use a payserver, so files will only be available for 1 or 2 days.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    newsgroup posting isnt illegal, dunno how legal NZB files are. I think they are the same as torrents.

Brian mentioned a bittorrent tracker we replied that we think a tracker isnt smart atm.

Such a newsgroup section will need people that will upload stuff to newsgroups if not the whole idea is useless. also the retention can become a problem because almost everyone dont use a payserver, so files will only be available for 1 or 2 days.
    No a secition is for its is lefgit as text for that matter. As for nzb files they are similar to torrents, and considering whats going on lately why bother, although its mainly tracker that are taking the slam and not the hosting of the files which may explain why SN hasnt been a target. Anyway if worried, ie as theTeam seems to be, then dont allow them, point is their not needed to be posted here anyway, it can just be posted what group to get them in anyway so why even have it or allow it if its touchy anyway.

As for having uploaders as with all sites of similar nature they will come and if not close the section, no biggy, point is only a few would be needed anyway to make things move. Additionally just having a place to discuss it and post spots would be enough to keep the average News user coming back especially considering the way News works.

As for retention and what people use I think youve made some assumptions as many ISP have 5 day or better retention with excellent completeion rates and there quite alot of people using paid servers which would also possibly get a sponser from someone like GigaNews here or at the least create some better Google Ads compared to all that scam shit that show now...
    Last edited by RealitY; 12-18-2004 at 12:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12