Thread: Sneaky Windows hides undeleted files?

Poster
    Samurai's cleaning question earlier on got me doing some computer housekeeping and I've just noticed a couple of things.

I have WinXP Professional with SP2 installed. IE was not open while I was doing this.

First off, the relocation or mirror thing...
    I noticed while poking around my temp folder was that my IE cache appeared to have been moved from C:\Documents and Settings\<me>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet files\ (which exists) to C:\Documents and Settings\<me>\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet files\. Also, it was 108MB in size yet I always change the cache size to 20MB when I setup a machine.
    Now, I know that I had noticed this relocation before and specified the normal default directory in Internet Options but put it down to SP2 and went to change it again; I was a bit surprised to see the default directory, not the one in use, in the properties box, so I affirmed it's location and emptied the cache on the way out.
    Checking the new (wrong) location I found the Temporary Internet Files folder still there but empty, then went to where they should be stored and found cookies and a load of images (from this site).
    So that's an oddity that I don't understand the point of.

Second, the hidden undeleted files...
    After emptying the cache and finding there were still files in the cache location I had specified, I decided to go back and empty it again, but before hitting the button I clicked on View Files, to be presented with the specified folder containing only cookies... when I had another window open showing the exact same location with images in it - and they persisted after refreshing the folder.

I don't know if this means anything serious but I can't see the point of either of these quirks.
    Any ideas?
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Smurfette, are you using more than one browser ? Just checking out the locations, and I too have both locations. However, one seems to be for IE only, ( ther directory C:\Documents and Settings\<me>\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet files\)so I assume the other is firefox.... also, I never use iE much anymore, and those files have not been modified since 9-22-04...
    Last edited by RPerry; 12-19-2004 at 08:49 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I installed Firefox a few days ago but many of the the persistent files are dated before the installation.

BTW, FF is looking a lot better than it did the last time I checked it out, even the cursor obscures the last letter typed into a textbox issue I had is gone, but I'm not entirely sure about it yet.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?