Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Dvd+-rw deal?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    By the time dual layer disks reach the sub-$1 level the burners will be cheap enough to just buy another.
    So why risk a functional drive now for an option you can't really exercise?
    Last edited by clocker; 12-23-2004 at 12:15 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    muchspl2
    because how many times do you buy a dvd burner, I plan on having mine for a few years, if you wait 10 years for DVD-dl media to come down that cheap, why even go for it then, by then hd-dvd will be the new hotness or blue ray or what ever
    I wouldn't wait because the sub 70 price range is great. do you have a dvd burner? how much did you pay for it, sound like you don't have the ability to burn dl media, you don't have to justify it to me or others, maybe you should have waited and got a dl burner if you paid more than 60 bucks shipped.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Actually yes, I do have a DL burner.
    No, I didn't get ripped off, nor am I trying to justify one to anybody.

My point was, why risk a perfectly good single layer burner by trying to flash the firmware when the media is really not yet available?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Why buy single layer now when the dual layer writers are so inexpensive?

Also, the price of dl media won't take nearly 10 years to reach under $1.00. Lets see what happens in the next 6 months.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    OK, let's.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    scribblec's Avatar Poster
    i got a nec 3500 and its pretty good burns good too

thumbs up

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    muchspl2
    I think it would be stupid to wait for DL media to come down, ESP with DL-burners so cheap now.
    if I were to get a burner now I would go for the 16x nec, maybe in a few years 16x dl media will be cheap, no one knows but its better than waiting IMO.
    is your next problem going to be the blue ray dvd only burns at 1x & we should wait for 2x

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl2
    I think it would be stupid to wait for DL media to come down, ESP with DL-burners so cheap now.
    if I were to get a burner now I would go for the 16x nec, maybe in a few years 16x dl media will be cheap, no one knows but its better than waiting IMO.
    is your next problem going to be the blue ray dvd only burns at 1x & we should wait for 2x
    I don't recall clocker saying anyone should wait for anything. He was pointing out that it's silly to suggest someone buys a SL burner and updates with hacked firmware (which will void the warranty) when they aren't going to use the ability for a while.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Thank you, S.
    You possess excellent reading comprehension skills.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    I hate to say this but as a Liteon owner and supporter.I would suggest go with the NEC3500.It will burn anything you throw at it.Can't say the same for the liteon there notorious for problems with dvd- media problems.Have a look at this link to see what I mean about the liteon http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=103664 The liteon also seems to prefer quality media ie $$$ ..The liteon is probaly cheaper but in the long run you will pay more for media..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12