Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of Telemarketeers

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarossa
    The equivalent in the UK is the Telephone Preference Service , and it does work.

Simply being ex-directory is not enough!

Nice site. I might give it a shot but my number is new and haven't had any so far.
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:53 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarossa
    The equivalent in the UK is the Telephone Preference Service , and it does work.

Simply being ex-directory is not enough!
    Ex-directory
    If you choose to be ex-directory your number will not be given out to anyone by Directory Enquiries - even family and friends. However, in the interest of your safety, details will be passed to the emergency services if you dial 999 (or 112, the European emergency number). BT, or an agency on our behalf, may contact you occasionally about faults or maintenance, to ask about the quality of our service, or to give you important information on the latest products, services and offers from BT. There is also an additional chargeable facility for ex-directory customers, where calls can be connected via the operator and you can choose whether or not to take the call.
    This is what I mean, it's no different to them knocking on the door, except ocasionally they don't speak, as I said if the puter connects to 2 or more, only one will be answered, the others hang up, therefore a breach of your privacy and also a nuesence phone call = Ilegal, if I done it and it was reported I would get in trouble, why should'nt they?

Jonno
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:53 AM.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    so its not spam if its from bt?

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Yes it is, the law was passed sometime last year, they somehow found a loophole

BT are fuck useless anyway, like I said, providing there's someone there you can have a giggle, just wind them up

I do realise these people are just doing a job but it's the same old story, if you gonna do a job like that you gotta expect the shit that goes with it.

Jonno

5. Lounge   -   #15
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i reckon they enjoy being taken for a ride anyway

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene

I find the best thing to do is just to say to the person on the phone, "Yeah hold on I'll get you the head of the house"
    Then just lay the phone down.
    That's pretty much what I do. My landlady gets about four or five of these calls a day which is very annoying when I'm trying to have my 8 hour lie-in.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    i did telemarketing for 10 years...
    just say "no thank you" and hang up.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Have you ever noticed the few seconds of silence after you answer? That's the delay from the autodialer informing the telemarketer that someone has answered. They then take the line to "sell" their product. This is your cue.

Give them back the same silence. Just listen to the background noise. You'll hear all you need to know that it's a telemarketer. Continue with the silence until they hang up. It's great fun. You'll get to hear their frustration right from the beginning of the call.

The best part is the shear simplicity. It gives you a sense of power without having to do anything.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    Just get your number on the National Do Not Call Registry.
    But then you got a bunch of crooked charity organisations instead. This is why you should think twice before donating to charity.

These charities arent affilated with the organisation they are representing and they ask for a large amount of money. Then they couldnt tell me how much of the donated money actually went to charity. According to another charity my mom answered, someone said that 95% of the money did not go to the charity. Damn thats even worse then those Feed the Children commercials.

So they just skirt the new rules by posing as a charity when they really arent.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Why would I thank someone for intruding on my private time, totally uninvited. Trying to sell me a product I don't want.
    So theyre not tempted to keep calling you back until you oppologize for hanging up on them, then they hang up on you. LOL
    Last edited by Vargas; 12-22-2004 at 01:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast