Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention, Lurkers...

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    I follow most of the threads that j2 makes (and where there's j2 there's RF ), his thoughts are intersting (compliment) i dont post anymore on these threads because simply i don't want to get involved unless it's a major issue (and i mean big).

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i find as my point gathers momentum other people's gather long words so i dont post here anymore. i just get very frustrated.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    I follow most of the threads that j2 makes (and where there's j2 there's RF ), his thoughts are intersting (compliment) i dont post anymore on these threads because simply i don't want to get involved unless it's a major issue (and i mean big).

No im not...

Ah bugger

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    I am a Republican, in the true sense of the word. I say this in spite of the fact that the dictionary as a source of the meaning of words has lost any credulation on this forum.

I believe that great Britain should be a Republic and that any monarchy is an anachronism and should be done away with as soon as possible.

I believe that the people should govern themself, by people elected in a proper, regular and transparent manner. Anything else is simply not acceptable in this day and age.
    I am a Constitutional Monarchist, and think we should give the Monarchy more power to interfere in Government, without fear of retribution by the next Government elected.

I think we've tried just about every type of Government in this country; Absolute Monarchy, Republic, Religious Dictatorship and finally settled on the best of the crappy bunch..

I do not want the Head of State to be the same person as the one in charge of the Government, it puts too much power in one persons hands.

Swearing allegiance to a Monarchy and getting paid by a Parliament, sets a nice balance against revolution..

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    What's wrong with having the British queen/king as figureheads ? they don't have any powers other than ceremonal and through tourism etc. they do bring in more money to the economy than they take out.
    Having a pet Monarch doesn't hinder democracy

Perhaps there is the "why should they live in luxury ?" side of it but that's just the roll of the dice that life dealt them

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Perhaps there is the "why should they live in luxury ?" side of it but that's just the roll of the dice that life dealt them
    No-one would visit the UK to see a monarch who lives in a semi in Wolverhampton

I quite agree tho' - while I laugh at the pomposity of the Royals, they do little harm to the democratic process so I see no reason to remove them because of democratic principles.

As to giving them more powers ... errr what! That was a little joke, I take it
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    a) occasionally, purely for entertainment

b) not yet (I have yet to see evidence of this ever happening here).
    Last edited by Sid Hartha; 01-06-2005 at 06:50 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    People come to see the Palaces, the Jewels, the Artwork etc.

This "they bring in more than they take out" argument is at best suspect. It is conventional wisdom, however I'd like to see the numbers on that one.

The fact of the matter is, whilst they are here one is a subject, not a citizen. That's just wrong.
    Most tourists would consider it a big bonus if they actually got to see the queen.
    do you feel any ACTUAL freedoms are denied you at present that you would gain should the monarchy be abolished?

Descriptive terms not counting if the actaul reality has no difference in real life affect

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    @manker

No i do mean it.

What good is being able to sack the Government, if you lose the ability immediatly after using that power?

If they were allowed to actually use the power, then Thatcher wouldnt have caused as much crap as she did. In addition, Blaire wouldnt have been able to use the Royal Prorogative to take us to war etc..

At the moment, the "Powers" of the Royals are excercised by the PM... I do not like so much power ie: The Prorogatives and the Government, in one persons hands.

By giving the Royal stuff back to the Royals, Government becomes more accountable.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Another thinly disguised parable sails over your shaggy head, J2.

I take back my comment about your capacity for nuance in the "Sanctity of marriage" thread.
    My apologies, Clocker-I actually mistook you for someone else.

Maybe Rat, or somebody...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast